1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help multivariable calculus

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f: R^n -> R be defined as follows:

f(x) = x*L(x) where * denotes the standard inner product and L: R^n -> R^n is a linear
    I'm trying to find the directional derivative f'(x;u).

2. Relevant equations

I know that f'(x;u) (the directional derivative of f(x) in the direction of the unit vector u)
    is equal to gradient(f(x)) * u where * denotes inner product.

3. The attempt at a solution

In this case gradient(f(x)) = gradient(x*L(x)) = gradient(x)*L(x) + L(x)*gradient(x)
    (Not sure if this step is correct).
    Then because L: R^n -> R^n is a linear map the differential of L is L again, no?
    So we get: gradient(f(x)) = gradient(x)*L(x) + L(x)*gradient(x) = 2L(x)*gradient(x).

Conclusion: the directional derivative in the direction of u is then (2L(x)*gradient(x))*u where u is a unit vector.

Is this correct? I'm a little bit confused about the part of L being a linear map, is it correct
    to state that the gradient is again L itself?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are writing expressions that don't really make sense. Think about what f(x) looks like in components. It's f(x)=x_i*L_ij*x_j (where x_i are the components of x, L_ij is the matrix representing L and i and j are summed from 1...n). The kth component of the gradient is df/x_k. Can you think how to write that concisely using matrices?
  4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Ok Dick, thanks for your reply. So
    I think f(x) = x^t * A * x where x represents the column vector and A is the matrix
    which represents L. Is this correct so far?
    Then how can I take the gradient? I'm really confused about this matrices thing,
    all I'm used to is functions.
  5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, now write it in indices. x_i*A_ij*x_j (summed over i and j). It's a quadratic form. You need to use the product rule. Take d/dx_k of it to get the kth component of the gradient. You get something nonzero if either i=k or j=k. So d/dx_k is A_kj*x_j+x_i*A_ik where the first is summed over i and the second is summed over j. Express that in terms of matrix products. I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't know what else to say.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?