Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Name New Kitty, Please

Name the Kitty

Poll closed Jul 7, 2004.
  1. Hayden

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Stubs

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Precious

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    Denizens,

If you would, please help name my latest rescue. I have been trying to catch this cat since before Xmas, and now he is caught, neutered (he is too happier, I'm telling you), got all his shots, and living in the back bedroom until the old-timers get used to him.

I appeal to you to help name him, because we cannot agree on a name amongst ourselves. The allied health club from my college was NO help, they insisted he be called "Punkin" and I just can't do it. Then one person got everyone to yowling for "Hypo," is that a bad name or what?

Husband wants to call him "Cantorian Set Theory." ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! His other suggestion is "Hayden." He already named the last one "Ludwig" after his favorite composer. My son is being very bad, he is asking to call him "Stubs," which I think is cruel, as the poor thing HAS NO TAIL. He just has long, fu-manchu hairs where the tail OUGHT to be. So sad, so sad.

I think "Precious" is the cutest name for him, don't you agree? Please vote between those three names (shut up, I am not taking any votes for Cantorian Set Theory, so just HUSH).

You can see him on my website, he is on the front page. Don't go to the other pages, many of you poor things are just not ready for my website! The website (I don't do the link thingie right) is http:// respiratory. faithweb . com, but without all the spaces. Sorry about popups. I hope you all prove more sensible than the allied health bunch.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

I like Stubs actually.... :biggrin: but then, childish names like that appeal to me!! I didnt like my kittens names when they were first given, but if i can grow to love Hoshi, Hana, Kasumi and Yuri, you can grow to love "Stubs" :wink:

4. Jun 27, 2004 #3
    How about naming him Neutron?

5. Jun 27, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'Precious', it has to be. How can any Tolkien fan disagree ?

6. Jun 27, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for Stubs. I think it's cute and sounds like it fits with the cat. Precious is way too foofy...more of a name for a spoiled poodle with bows on its head, not a scrappy cat that's been on his own for a long time (even if he is neutered now). Hayden is...well, I don't know, I just don't like it. I'll go look at your site and see if any other names come to mind.

*Okay, just looked at his picture. He's definitely not a Precious or Hayden. Stubs still sounds good to me. Though, Ranger popped into mind when I took a look at him. Like the Lone Ranger or Texas Ranger or something like that...just has that look on his face that seems to be saying "I might be cute, but don't mess with me." :grumpy: That cat has attitude and needs a tough-guy name to go with it!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  7. Jun 27, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just to be difficult I vote for Scherzo. The scherzo movement was a Beethoven innovation so your husband should be happy, and a scherzo movement should be jolly or brusque, fitting for a short tailed kitty.

(My daughter has a cat named Allegro).

8. Jun 27, 2004 #7
    I just can't get the little gremlin thing from Lord of the Rings out of my head whenever I hear "precious..." I think it's haunting me now.

cookiemonster

9. Jun 27, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can I change my vote? I like selfAdjoint's suggestion. The meaning is fitting and when you say Scherzo, it sounds strong and full of attitude, and you can be sure every kitty on the block won't have the same name!

10. Jun 27, 2004 #9
    You can call it Garfield, now that the movie is here

11. Jun 27, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My cats always end up having one proper respectable name and then a nickname or two.

Professor Stubinski could be his proper name, and then "Stubs" for short.

Also, you might consult the works of T.S. Eliot for inspiration.

12. Jun 27, 2004 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

I had several cats named Dirt. Just liked the name, I guess... (Not all at once, mind you... They were in succession... Dirt the First, Dirt the Second and Dirt the Turd :biggrin:) When they were bad... their name was Mud. :wink:

13. Jun 28, 2004 #12
    Kitty should be named Slaughterking 3.2. Or Boots.

14. Jun 28, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's tickled my funnybone in about a gazillion places!

15. Jun 28, 2004 #14
    Did you ever hear about the poor cat that only had one eye, was neutered, only had three legs, just a stump of a tail, coughed all the time and walked with a limp? His name was "Lucky."

(I like Stumpy. It'll be easy to remember)

16. Jun 28, 2004 #15
    I have examined the feline's photographic image, and I believe that cat is named Butterscotch. Probably Scotch for short.

17. Jun 28, 2004 #16
    This is terrible! YOU GUYS/GALS ARE WORSE, FAR WORSE, THAN THE ALLIED HEALTH BUNCH!!! Throwing weird names into the mix!!! Scherzo! Indeed! Ha! Stumpy and Dirt? Neutron???!!! Are you mad??? And voting for that mean name!!! And getting my son to walking around all morning chanting "Slaughterking! Slaughterking!" Don't even mention Garfield, I can't stand that Garfield, he's so mean! Prof. Stubinski, now that was a nice thought, but he still ends up as Stubs. AT least a few recognize how Precious he looks, but I had forgotten that the creature in the Hobbit was always saying that...

What was I thinking? Asking a rowdy bunch of brains for advice, hmph. Science types are so rarely, rarely sensible.

18. Jun 28, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

we tried!! :biggrin: :rofl:

19. Jun 28, 2004 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Being a tolkien fan I would have to go with Precious

20. Jun 28, 2004 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Name him (it) mr. johnson, pet name: john or johnny. Imagine you standing in the door opening calling out "mr johnson! john!" most fun if you live on a busy street :tongue2:

Ok, some other names we've had:
    fatty fat.. or the dutch version: dikkie dik (dikkie for short)
    tijgertje (dimioutive of tiger)
    patrick
    boy

some female names: vara, sheba, minoush, bonny

if it's black call it blacky if it's white call it whitey

that's all I have :uhh:

21. Jun 28, 2004 #20

Njorl

Science Advisor

I remember when I lived in West Philly, one of my neighbors had a cat named Whitey. He was always looking for it. Everytime I walked by he was shouting, "Hey Whitey!"

Njorl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?