Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help name seven baby skunks, please

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh boy. I just found 6 or 7 baby skunks living in a storage area attached to my office - a converted barn. I just came walking down and they were all waiting near my office door. Two of them wanted to come over and say hello. I don't know where mama is. :uhh:

I have learned that skunks really have little to no fear of humans. I have stood within three feet of a skunk that was eating and he could have cared less. No tail action, no threat, he just barely acknowledged my presence and kept eating.

The cats like to make friends with them. :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2004 #2

plover

Homework Helper

• Manichaeus
    • 10-ft.
    • Any Other Name
    • Calvin
    • Dinkum Stinkum
    • Cribbage
    • Therapy

4. Jun 29, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, if you have any suggestions, what in the heck do I do now?!!!!

I had to shoot two this year already...but seven? Gees.

Integral are your reading? You have lived here longer than me. What do I do?

5. Jun 29, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Awww, little babies. :approve: I hope the mom is ok. Just don't upset them. My dog, you know the one, the "Jaws of Death" is forever cornering skunks right under my bedroom window. Nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night thinking you've been sprayed.

Maybe you could name them after the PF members they most resemble? :devil: :biggrin: Surely one is an Evo. :tongue2:

6. Jun 29, 2004 #5

Evo

SHOOT THEM???? NOOOOO, they're innocent babies!!! :cry:

Call an animal rescue league to come get them and relocate them.

7. Jun 29, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, see, I can't have seven skunks living on the property. This gets ugly. :cry:

8. Jun 29, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

we are posting nearly simultaneously.

They will probably laugh at me but I will try. I really don't want to shoot them all. They are almost like little kitties - they handle themselves much like a persian cat does. Until I checked I assumed that cats and skunks were closely related but not so.

btw, I just lost my office kitty Miss Bun. Only 4.5 years and she lost blood circulation for some reason...don't know why. 24 hours from good to dead. It was so sad.

9. Jun 29, 2004 #8

Evo

Smelly maybe, not ugly. Just don't let me know if they meet an untimely death. :cry:

The neighbor's dog killed all of the kittens that a stray cat that hangs around had. They were so precious, I'm just sick. I had to bury all of them yesterday.

I am so sorry to hear about Miss Bun. :frown:

10. Jun 29, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

country living can be really ugly that way.

11. Jun 29, 2004 #10

Evo

Yeah it's really hard for a bleeding heart animal lover like me.

But on the positive side, there are the times when you go into your kitchen and there's an opossum eating cat food like it's the most natural thing in the world. Man those things have large fangs and they drool when they eat. I replaced that window screen real quick.

12. Jun 29, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That what I mean by ugly. I really hate shooting things. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Funny since as a kid I liked to hunt.

You know, moving from LA to the backwoods of Oregon was quite an experience. Anything related to farms and animals can be a pretty hard adjustment. Even seasoned animal people and farmers hate what they sometimes have to do.

Oh yes, here a favorite for the sheep people to pull on the city folk. The first time I watched the birthing of lambs the farmer made sure that he positioned me directly in the line of flight of the afterbirth. Luckily I was quicker than he.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  13. Jun 29, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you haven't lived until you've seen a billy goat mate! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Jun 29, 2004 #13

Evo

Is it something you can explain in mixed company? :blush:

15. Jun 29, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, hmmm, um, first you have to picture a cork screw; that's the shape. Then they pee all over themselves to attract a female - which I have tried and I can say that this seems to only work for goats. Anyway, that's what that famous billy goat beard is for. Its a sponge. Then they get so horny that they get stiff legged and can't walk right. They just wobble around making all sorts of obnoxious noise, peeing on their beard, and trying desperately to mount the nearest female who makes the poor billy stumble all over the barnyard trying to catch her. When he finally does its all over in about five seconds. It is absolutely the most pathetic mating ritual I have ever seen.

16. Jun 29, 2004 #15

Evo

Not unlike what I've encountered with males at the local bar. :biggrin:

17. Jun 29, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Jun 29, 2004 #17
    - George Bush.
    - Tony Blair.
    - John Howard.
    - Ashcroft.
    - Powell.
    - Cheney.
    - Alexander Downer.

19. Jun 29, 2004 #18
    Happy
    Grumpy
    Sleepy
    Dopey
    Sneezy
    Dock
    bashful

Took ma a while to get the last one, lol.

20. Jun 29, 2004 #19

Njorl

Science Advisor

Let's see, how about...

Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Horst Bucholz, Robert Vaughn and um, um, um... Oh, just name the last one Stinky!

Njorl

21. Jun 29, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

Dammit Andy, I was gonna use them names... Oh well, i second the "7 dwarfs" naming scheme

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?