Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help name the puppy

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 weeks ago I posted some pics of our new puppy. Well we are still looking for a name. We were thinking the good people here in GD might be able to put some ideas on the table.

We have been thinking Lucy (Riki and Lucy) would be interesting. While the name goes good with Riki, that is about all it has. We are open. Here are some more pics to get you acquainted with the little girl. She is now a bit over 3lb. (~1.2 kg).

Here she is taking nap.
    [​IMG]

Now playing on the stairs.
    [​IMG]

More play

[​IMG]

Playing with Riki:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here we catch another side of her. [​IMG]

She is pretty rough when wrestling with Riki, those teeth are very bit as sharp as puppy teeth can be. She tends to try to chew on ears and nose when the opportunity presents itself.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2006 #2
    Heh, the first name that came up unto my mind after looking at your puppy was Charlie, but since she's, it cannot be. :tongue2:

How about 'Integral'? Wouldn't this be good? :rolleyes:

I always wanted to call my dog or son, 'Judas' :)

Lisa,
    Sofia,
    Athena,
    Endymiona,
    latratora,
    decorus,
    Katy,

These are others that come up on my mind, Lucy would be great too, it's a nice name. Hope I helped a little :cry:

4. Apr 15, 2006 #3
    Name it Pengwunio. :biggrin:

5. Apr 15, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Name it Cyrusabdollahi

6. Apr 15, 2006 #5
    I agree with heartless. If I had a female dog I would name her Lisa!

7. Apr 15, 2006 #6
    I would suggest no people names. For some silly reason I object to cats or dogs being named people names. It should be rover or spike not mary or lucy or anything like that. I usually name a pet based on their behavior. Usually you can find they have their own little idiosyncrasy that is unique to them and may spawn a name. Naming a pet is certainly easier live in person then it is over the net. Female names seem harder to come up with for some reason too. Cute puppy though!

8. Apr 15, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the spirit of the season, Thumper

JD [just dog] :biggrin: or in that sense, you could go Goth and name her Georgia [the reeper]

9. Apr 15, 2006 #8
    Name it Mental Gridlock, just for spite.

10. Apr 15, 2006 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that is what we have been waiting for. The right name to pop out at us, so far nothing has popped. ( Just about spelled that pooped! now there has been plenty of that popping out!)

Thanks for the suggestions.. keep em coming!

11. Apr 15, 2006 #10

ranger

Gold Member

Just call her puppy. Like was mentioned before, people names - no good.

12. Apr 15, 2006 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this some backhanded comment on Lisa!?

13. Apr 15, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yogi
    Rosco
    Gigi
    Tigger
    Sasquatch
    Hobbit

or, since I should be working on my taxes, Sammy.

14. Apr 15, 2006 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once knew a bear with that name... somehow it doesn't work for me.
    This could cause some confusion.

Now these I like.
    Both have big hairy feet, did you see any big hairy feet in the pics?
    Yeah, but my taxes have been done for weeks. (Guess that is where you are tonight!.... Good luck!)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  15. Apr 15, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hey, my beloved Brittany Spaniel was named Kevin. Sometimes we just have no control over what their names are. :grumpy:

I vote for "Spike".

16. Apr 15, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm the same way about naming pets. For example, we had a dog named Cinder who got her name after rolling around in the pile of ashes in the backyard (we used to dump them from the woodburning stove into a pile, and she found the pile). :rolleyes:

Hmm...since she's very playful and part Chihuahua, how about "JB" for jumping bean. :biggrin: The coloration of her face looks like she could be a "Smokey." "Imp" might be a name for her.

I'm going to look back at the other thread and see if something in the descriptions there lends itself to a name.

Edit: After re-reading the prior thread, I still like Tsu's suggestion of "Scrunchie." :biggrin:

She still has those big ears too, so maybe something that plays off that feature would work (or do you think they'll eventually flop down and not be as prominent?) "Radar" sounds too much like a male name though. Maybe "Dish" as in satellite dish. :uhh: Okay, that was pretty bad.

I think you need a third dog, then you can name them Riki, Tiki and Tavi. :tongue2:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  17. Apr 15, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boo Boo

Bilbo?

Getting them in on time and not filing an extension or two is a huge improvement for me. :redface:

18. Apr 15, 2006 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I second this. :tongue2:

19. Apr 15, 2006 #18
    I still think binary logic or compution theorm would be a good name

20. Apr 15, 2006 #19
    Giget pops into my mind when i see her.

21. Apr 16, 2006 #20
    No, no, no. You have to give animals who are members of your family names. You can't go about calling them "snowball" or "spots" or something equally inane. They aren't a description, they're a someone: name them.

I think Lucy to go with Ricki is perfect.

We had a cat who had the most beautiful blue eyes. So we called him Frank. Then another cat arrived and I wanted to call her Frances. However, I was informed that that was too "cutesy and stupid" and besides, his mother's middle name was Frances, and that was too weird. So we wound up calling her Bean just for the joke effect.

Aside from this example, I've have a finch called Constantine and a dog name Demetrius. Give them a name, darnit. They're a part of the family.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?