1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help need to balance it

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

BCl3+H2O2>>H3
    BO3+HCl
    2. Relevant equations

need to balanc it

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That appears to be redox so you could start from the individual half-cells and balance first for the electrons. A sensible result might still be found just using balancing of numbers of atoms using the unbalanced reactants and products.

Try this: You see 3 chlorines on the left, and you see only 1 chlorine on the right. What must you do about this? What does this do the your balance of hydrogens? What more or next can you do?

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    i now this i made this but the problem is at (B) i cant balance this but i need to make this with an oxidation and reducation sorry for my english .i tryed this also with valenc numbers but it dosent work

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

B is neither reduced nor oxidized, BCl3 just hydrolyses. The only redox here is hydrogen peroxide decomposition. This can be classifed as disproportionation reaction.

--
    methods

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    o.0 thanks got it now u right borek about BCl but i was thinkin of the preoxid and HCl about their valenz but i have it now

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The linewrapping distracted me and I analyzed the reaction incorrectly. At my end, the H3 ended the line and the next stuff continued on a new line and I mistook what was seen. Not very careful thinking.

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7
    yeh i now thats why i said it needs to be done with a oxido reduction beacuse it dident worked in this form

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook