Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! need to buy a car

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Ok, I'm tired of paying $80 to fill up my tank so I'm going to finagle a car out of my parents :smile:. Here's what I got so far

1. Honda CRV: I've heard good things about Honda's in general and this one seems to fit my SUV needs without burning my cash. The only thing is, I read reviews that a bunch of these were recalled for faulty air bag and catching on fire due to problems with the gasket around the oil filter.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/models...p?ModelName=CR-V&Category=4WD Special Edition

2. Ford Escape (Hybrid): Seems perfect, good reviews, except that something always goes wrong with Ford's and maintainance can be a biznatch. Something always seems to be broken and even replacing the headlight was a difficult. Not to mention the recalls for this car too.

3. Honda Pilot: Step up from the CRV, but I probably don't need this much room.

4. Toyota Highlander (Hybrid): According to this review, it's just ok, but kind of boring and more expensive than is reasonable for the additions.

There was talk of a CRV hybrid, but for some reason Honda didn't want to make money this year.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    ok, 20 views and no answers....do I need to offer you guys brownies for your help?
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Honda CRV all the way...at least recalls the dealer pays for. Hondas have good resell values. The Pilot is very expensive as the Highlander is too. All the money you would be saving on gas would go to your car payment.
  5. Oct 4, 2005 #4
    spanks:) Some people recommend Ford even after knowing about all the problems, but it is a Hybrid after all...

Guess the CRV will probably do.
  6. Oct 4, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you're down to only 4, take them all on test drives. Make sure they handle well, and if you really NEED an SUV, that they can handle whatever you need it for (rough terrain, towing, etc).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?