Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed ( 3-phase transformer connections )

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    hello there ; I have several questions about the 3-phase transformer connections and I will be really grateful if any one could help ....

I've learnt that there are several types of 3-phase transformer connections which are in general ; the (Wye-wye) , ( Wye-Delta ) , (Delta-Delta ) , ( Delta-Wye ) , and Open Delta

but I got a bit confused with the VA relation for each ....I also have read in a book that the VA rating of Open-delta configuration is = 0.58 of ( Delta-Delta ) rating , how this relation been derived in the first place !?

and what's the different between each configuration and another , I know that only 2 transformers have to be used for Open-delta configuration , and 3 transformers for the rest configurations ....

what if the current ratings for each winding increased , could the open-delta configuration work as well as the Delta-Delta configuration !?

what about a transformer with capacity of 60 KVA what total 3-phase power can be obtained in each of the ; (Wye-wye) , ( Wye-Delta ) , (Delta-Delta ) , ( Delta-Wye ) , and Open Delta !?

thanks in advance .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    I've checked the links I found somethings interesting
    I'm still wondering what might happen if I reversed winding polarities in both Wye and Delta connection , will there be a short circuit !?

5. Jul 12, 2012 #4
    As long as you reverse the polarities in all three transformers, there should not be a short.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook