Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed balancing 3 phase electrical system

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    My home is supplied by 3-phase electricity.
    When the electricians installed the system, they made guesses at how to balance the loads across the 3 phases.
    The country that I live in limits the amount of power available through each phase with a closed box that trips out if ANY ONE of the phases exceeds a certain current.
    So if the cooker and the water heater are on the same phase and are on together, the power trips out for the entire house.

I am wondering if there is some device I can connect to the 3 'live' cables inside the house, that automatically divides the current being pulled equally across the 3 phases.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. Get an electrician to measure each phases load and move appropriately.

Welcome to PF

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    Yeah, thanks for the idea but that's not really going to help.

The problem is when we use a high load item and another one kicks in either on auto, or timer, or because someone in the house doesn't know.

example would be water heater and underfloor heating. Both are heavy load, but set on thermostats.

I need a circuit that sits between the loads and the supply and automatically routes the power through the phases equally. so if we are pulling 15kw, it pulls 5kW from each phase.

I didn't think this would be something I'd get from the local hardware store, but you never know?! ;0)

(the total potential load in the house is much greater than the allowable supply - in case I didn't make that clear up front)

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    You might try contacting these people, the web site does not give very much detail on power capability or price but it is at least a starting place.
    http://www.polyphaz.com/Three_phase_to_single_phase_transformers.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    thanks, I will look into that ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook