1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed calculating speed distribution

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a sealed container of volume v = x m^3, which holds a sample of y x 10^24 atoms of He gas in equilibrium.
    The distribution of speeds of the atoms is peaking at 110 m s^-1.

How do I calculate the temperature and pressure of the He gas?
    Which equations would I use to calculate the average kinetic energy of the atoms?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know where to start.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I need help with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
  4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks Spinnor,

I had already accessed these, but I still can't figure it out. I have a whole host of equations (Boltzmann, Boyle, etc...) and I fully understand the concepts involved, but when I wrote "I don't know where to start", I simply meant, I ACTUALLY don't know HOW to start.
    I have the volume of the container (0.10 m^3), the number of helium atoms (3.0 x 10^24) at equilibrium and the peak of the speed distribution of these atoms (1100 m s^-1).

I have P = N * (m<vx^2. ÷ L^3)
    I know Helium is a monatomic gas and that the mass of one helium atom is 4.0 amu.

As it is in equilibrium, there are no changes (Δ), so I need to find the value of the temperature FIRST in order to calculate both the pressure, and I need the pressure and the temperature to calculate the KEav of the helium atoms. From this I need to establish the position of the maximum in the energy distribution.

So everything in this question comes from where to start. Once I get going I have no trouble, because it's only calculations. I therefore need help in "entering" the problem. That's my problem.
    I can't for the life of me and with application find any examples in my own textbooks or other physics books that might give me a template to work from for that "Aaaah!" moment of recognition.

If you have any ideas to put me on the right path, I'd be grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook