How to Calculate Temperature and Pressure from Helium Gas Speed Distribution?

In summary, The He gas in the container is in equilibrium, and the atoms are slowly moving at 110 m s^-1. To calculate the temperature and pressure, you need to use the equations for kinetic energy and gas pressure. The maximum in the energy distribution is found at the peak of the speed distribution.
dq/dt58

Homework Statement

I have a sealed container of volume v = x m^3, which holds a sample of y x 10^24 atoms of He gas in equilibrium.
The distribution of speeds of the atoms is peaking at 110 m s^-1.

How do I calculate the temperature and pressure of the He gas?
Which equations would I use to calculate the average kinetic energy of the atoms?

Homework Equations

I don't know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I need help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Spinnor,

I had already accessed these, but I still can't figure it out. I have a whole host of equations (Boltzmann, Boyle, etc...) and I fully understand the concepts involved, but when I wrote "I don't know where to start", I simply meant, I ACTUALLY don't know HOW to start.
I have the volume of the container (0.10 m^3), the number of helium atoms (3.0 x 10^24) at equilibrium and the peak of the speed distribution of these atoms (1100 m s^-1).

I have P = N * (m<vx^2. ÷ L^3)
I know Helium is a monatomic gas and that the mass of one helium atom is 4.0 amu.

As it is in equilibrium, there are no changes (Δ), so I need to find the value of the temperature FIRST in order to calculate both the pressure, and I need the pressure and the temperature to calculate the KEav of the helium atoms. From this I need to establish the position of the maximum in the energy distribution.

So everything in this question comes from where to start. Once I get going I have no trouble, because it's only calculations. I therefore need help in "entering" the problem. That's my problem.
I can't for the life of me and with application find any examples in my own textbooks or other physics books that might give me a template to work from for that "Aaaah!" moment of recognition.

If you have any ideas to put me on the right path, I'd be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

1. What is speed distribution?

Speed distribution refers to the range of speeds at which particles or objects move within a given system. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of particles or objects in motion.

2. How is speed distribution calculated?

Speed distribution can be calculated by measuring the number of particles or objects at different speeds and plotting them on a graph. The resulting curve is known as a speed distribution curve, and it can provide valuable information about the motion of the system.

3. What factors affect speed distribution?

The speed distribution of particles or objects can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of external forces. These factors can alter the average speed and distribution of speeds within a system.

4. What is the importance of calculating speed distribution?

Calculating speed distribution is important because it can help scientists and engineers understand the behavior of particles or objects in a system. It can also be used to make predictions and optimize processes in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science.

5. How is speed distribution used in real-world applications?

Speed distribution has numerous real-world applications, such as in the design of transportation systems, the study of atmospheric dynamics, and the development of new materials and technologies. It is also used in sports science to analyze the performance of athletes and in traffic engineering to optimize traffic flow.