1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Needed - Catapult Lever system

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    I have here a class 1 lever style catapult built using leaf springs (A Da Vinci design) which relies on the stored energy in the springs to apply torque over a certain distance which is the length of the arm. Of course, for max distance the arm will stop at 45 degrees or pi/4 RAD. Now here is my question. How do I determine the displacement or range of my projectile given mass and its shape.

I realize this depends on the force or energy exerted on the projectile which is then transferred into kinetic energy when it begins flight off the catapult arm. My question IS: What does this force depend on? the length of the arm? angular velocity? linear velocity? moment of inertia (I)? The more I read the more I am confused. I keep thinking a longer arm will increase angular velocity but not linear velocity but then I question how, as it is still travelling pi/4 RAD over a given time.

The way I think is that if I apply a force A (10N) on a class 1 lever the force B at 1/2 the length from the fulcrum that Force A was exerted at will be greater but due to conservation of energy this is true:
    (w=f*d 10N x 2m = 20J= Fb x D= Fa x d ... all relative) so less force over more distance moves the other terminal end of the class 1 lever at an increased force over shorter distance. therefore I determine that a longer arm would hold the reverse in the style of my catapult and actually decrease the force or torque in this case applied.. but that makes NO SENSE to me.

I don't care how complicated this gets I just want to build a bad a** catapult for 4U physics(GR.12)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted