Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conducor

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 conducting spheres with radii 2 & 3m are connected with a conducting rod of thickness 0.1m & lenght 0.5m. 500C charge is put on the 2m radius sphere.
    Find the amount of charge on each sphere & on the rod.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By conservation of charges: Q1 + Q2 + Q3 = 500 ... (1); Q1 of rod & Q2 & Q3 of 2m & 3m radii spheres respectively.

As charges are uniformly distributed we have: [tex]\sigma[/tex]1 = [tex]\sigma[/tex]2 = [tex]\sigma[/tex]3

so Q1/A1 = Q2/A2 = Q3/A3 ... (2)

here i got stuck & don;t know how to continue. i know that i need to find 3 equations with 3 unkowns & solve the system, but im not seeing these equation except for (1) & probably i have to use parts of (2).

could someone help plz. thx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    Re: help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conduc

you have three equations, (1) and two equations in (2). Q_1/A_1 = Q_2/A_2 and Q_2/A_2 = Q_3/A_3.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Re: help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conduc

thx 4 the help

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4

Can you justify this?

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5

coz charges on conductors tend to uniformly distribute them selves. isn't it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook