1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conducor

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 conducting spheres with radii 2 & 3m are connected with a conducting rod of thickness 0.1m & lenght 0.5m. 500C charge is put on the 2m radius sphere.
    Find the amount of charge on each sphere & on the rod.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By conservation of charges: Q1 + Q2 + Q3 = 500 ... (1); Q1 of rod & Q2 & Q3 of 2m & 3m radii spheres respectively.

As charges are uniformly distributed we have: [tex]\sigma[/tex]1 = [tex]\sigma[/tex]2 = [tex]\sigma[/tex]3

so Q1/A1 = Q2/A2 = Q3/A3 ... (2)

here i got stuck & don;t know how to continue. i know that i need to find 3 equations with 3 unkowns & solve the system, but im not seeing these equation except for (1) & probably i have to use parts of (2).

could someone help plz. thx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    Re: help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conduc

you have three equations, (1) and two equations in (2). Q_1/A_1 = Q_2/A_2 and Q_2/A_2 = Q_3/A_3.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Re: help needed: Charge on 2 spherical conductors connected with a cylindrical conduc

thx 4 the help

5. Nov 22, 2008 #4

Can you justify this?

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5

coz charges on conductors tend to uniformly distribute them selves. isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?