Help Needed: DRAGON/DONJON Code for PWR Analysis

In summary: SiO2 formulation, but that would not be correct as there is also a 1.1% aluminum in the mixture. Search the Dragon documentation or search the Internet for an explanation of the (Invalid NCOMB) error.
Amjad78
TL;DR Summary
Modelling of PWR in DRAGON/DONJON Code
Hello Everyone, Hope you will be with good health in this situation. I am Ali and i need some help regarding DRAGON/DONJON Code for PWR Analysis if anyone help me i will be very glade
Regards
Ali

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you please say more so we know what to try to help you with? What is your experience level so far with this software? What simulations have you done so far? When you used Google to search for similar simulations, what did you find?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245135089_CANDU_reactor_core_simulations_using_fully_coupled_DRAGON_and_DONJON_calculations

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/29/000/29000309.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211379717322258

Amjad78 said:
Summary:: Modelling of PWR in DRAGON/DONJON Code

Hello Everyone, Hope you will be with good health in this situation. I am Ali and i need some help regarding DRAGON/DONJON Code for PWR Analysis if anyone help me i will be very glade
Regards
Ali
DRAGON is a multi-group lattice code with which one would model fuel assembly lattices as a function of burnup and temperature, and DONJON is a core simulation code, which uses output of DRAGON as input.

What kind of help is one seeking? What kind of simulations is one planning to perform?

berkeman said:
Can you please say more so we know what to try to help you with? What is your experience level so far with this software? What simulations have you done so far? When you used Google to search for similar simulations, what did you find?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245135089_CANDU_reactor_core_simulations_using_fully_coupled_DRAGON_and_DONJON_calculations

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/29/000/29000309.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211379717322258
Thank you So Much for your Kind Reply, i want to model PWR Core (Assemblies) using Dragon code, i read the literature but i am beginner for this code. I modeled the Assembly with only fuel pins but the error with reference value is very high that is the relative error in a simple assembly is about 580 pcm . I am very new for this code and want to modeled Assembly with Pyrex rods but there is some error (Invalid NCOMB) with ENDF Library, but the same file is running good with JEFF library, can you please tell me what is this error and how can i resolve this. if you can share your experience

Regards

Astronuc said:
DRAGON is a multi-group lattice code with which one would model fuel assembly lattices as a function of burnup and temperature, and DONJON is a core simulation code, which uses output of DRAGON as input.

What kind of help is one seeking? What kind of simulations is one planning to perform?

Thank you So Much for your Kind Reply, i want to model PWR Core (Assemblies) using Dragon code, i read the literature but i am beginner for this code. I modeled the Assembly with only fuel pins but the error with reference value is very high that is the relative error in a simple assembly is about 580 pcm . I am very new for this code and want to modeled Assembly with Pyrex rods but there is some error (Invalid NCOMB) with ENDF Library, but the same file is running good with JEFF library, can you please tell me what is this error and how can i resolve this. if you can share your experience

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in the same position as anyone having difficulty with a piece of software. My suggestion is to make best use of what you know. Search the Dragon documentation or search the Internet for an explanation of the (Invalid NCOMB) error.

anorlunda said:
You are in the same position as anyone having difficulty with a piece of software. My suggestion is to make best use of what you know. Search the Dragon documentation or search the Internet for an explanation of the (Invalid NCOMB) error.
I already search many literature Sir the NCOMB is the number of depleting materials but in my situation the code is not taking the MIX of BP rods as a burnable. when i make the BP rods MIX non-Burnable the error disappear so in my input i want to burn the BP Rods material as well which actually happens in core but the code is not taking the BP rods as burnable

Thank you for your Reply

Amjad78 said:
Assembly with Pyrex rods but there is some error (Invalid NCOMB) with ENDF Library, but the same file is running good with JEFF library,
That's strange since ENDF should have cross sections for 10B and 11B as does JEFF, and it's the 10B that is key due to it's high thermal neutron capture cross section.

I cannot find a reference to NCOMP, although that appears to refer to the number of compositions, so my question would be, has one properly defined the compositions for the various materials?

Pyrex is complicated since Pyrex is composed of (as percentage of weight): 4.0% boron, 54.0% oxygen, 2.8% sodium, 1.1% aluminum, 37.7% silicon, and 0.3% potassium, in one formulation. Another formulation is: SiO2 81%, Na2O 4.0%, K2O 0.5%, B2O3 13.0%, Al2O3 2.0%.
https://www.pegasus-glass.com/Portals/0/technical_infopyrex.pdf

One could ignore the K2O, and make it Na2O, then make sure the components add to 100%. Also, the isotopic content may be different from natural.

Is one modeling a 17x17 lattice? Are the Pyrex rods rods located in the guide tube positions?

Astronuc said:
That's strange since ENDF should have cross sections for 10B and 11B as does JEFF, and it's the 10B that is key due to it's high thermal neutron capture cross section.

I cannot find a reference to NCOMP, although that appears to refer to the number of compositions, so my question would be, has one properly defined the compositions for the various materials?

Pyrex is complicated since Pyrex is composed of (as percentage of weight): 4.0% boron, 54.0% oxygen, 2.8% sodium, 1.1% aluminum, 37.7% silicon, and 0.3% potassium, in one formulation. Another formulation is: SiO2 81%, Na2O 4.0%, K2O 0.5%, B2O3 13.0%, Al2O3 2.0%.
https://www.pegasus-glass.com/Portals/0/technical_infopyrex.pdf

One could ignore the K2O, and make it Na2O, then make sure the components add to 100%. Also, the isotopic content may be different from natural.

Is one modeling a 17x17 lattice? Are the Pyrex rods rods located in the guide tube positions?
Dear Thank you for your response, i am using the simplest material of Pyrex Rods (i am using the VERA Benchmark problem case 17x17 lattice for validation) in which Pyrex rods are composed on B10, B11, O16 and Si. when i used the material of Pyrex rod as non-Burnable then the code is running good or it is very strange that if i used some of U-235 and U-238 in a very small amount that is in the range of 1.0E-20 then there is no error.

1. What is the "DRAGON/DONJON Code" and how is it used in PWR analysis?

The DRAGON/DONJON Code is a computer program used for nuclear reactor analysis, specifically for Pressurized Water Reactors (PWRs). It is used to simulate the behavior of the reactor core and calculate important parameters such as power distribution, fuel burnup, and neutron flux. It is an essential tool for designing and optimizing PWRs.

2. How can I obtain the DRAGON/DONJON Code for PWR analysis?

The DRAGON/DONJON Code is owned by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) and is not publicly available. However, it can be obtained through a licensing agreement with the CNSC or through collaborations with research institutions that have access to the code.

3. Is the DRAGON/DONJON Code user-friendly for scientists without extensive coding experience?

The DRAGON/DONJON Code is a complex program that requires a strong understanding of nuclear physics and computer programming. It is not considered user-friendly for scientists without prior experience in these areas. However, there are user guides and tutorials available to help new users navigate the code.

4. Can the DRAGON/DONJON Code be used for other types of reactors besides PWRs?

While the DRAGON/DONJON Code was originally developed for PWR analysis, it has been adapted for use with other types of reactors, such as Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) and Advanced Gas-cooled Reactors (AGRs). However, modifications and validations may be necessary for accurate results in these different reactor types.

5. Are there any alternative codes or software available for PWR analysis?

Yes, there are several alternative codes and software available for PWR analysis, such as SCALE, PARCS, and MCNP. Each code has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to carefully evaluate which one is most suitable for a specific analysis. Some codes may also require a license or collaboration agreement for use.