1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed! (electric fields)

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    An iodine (-1) and a chloride ion (-1) interact in a vaccum.

a. What is the force which each exerts on the other from a distance of 2.0 x 10^-9 m?

b. What is the eletric field that the iodine ion experiences from the chloride ion? toward which ion does the electrical field vector point?

c. By what factor must the chloride ion be moved so that it experiences 1/64 of the electric field iodine ion as in part b?

This is work from the spring that I am finishing up and I can not rember how to go about solving this problem. Could someone please help me? I just need a poitn in the right direction.

I am pretty sure that the forces they exert on each other would be equal but beyond that I am not sure how to go about the problem.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The force between two charges is given by:

[tex] F=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q_1Q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

and the electric field for a point charge is given by:

[tex]E=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r}[/tex]

just a case of plugging in the numbers.

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3
    so does that mean my force would be = 5.77 X 10^-11

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something around that magnitude. Remember your units when handing your answer in.

6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    should my Q1 and my Q2 have the same number because they both have a negative charge?

7. Sep 14, 2006 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean but I assume that you're talking of parts a and b and they will have opposite signs because both ions are negatively charged.

8. Sep 14, 2006 #7
    I guess what I am trying to figure out is what the Q1 and Q2 are in the force formula?

9. Sep 14, 2006 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I see. Yes Q1 and Q2 will be the same value because both ions have a negative charge of one.

10. Sep 14, 2006 #9
    so then the mass of the ions is irrelevent? because my teacher did say as a hint to remember that ion charges are multiples of the charge on an electron, and their masses in atomic weights are multiples of the mass of a proton

11. Sep 14, 2006 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No mass is needed in this problem as far as I can see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?