Help needed -- Electron beam at low pressure

In summary: I think you need the cross-section for collisions of electrons at your beam energy with the molecules in air.
Ash Khan
Hey! I am trying to figure out this one problem. Some help would be appreciated.
How can i relate the maximum distance traveled by an electron at a given pressure?
So electron is colliding with air molecules. I wonder if there is a formula or derivation which relate maximum penetration and pressure of air?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a diffusion formula. Why are you only interested in the penetration of 1 particle and not many or even atoms?

I am actually interested in a beam of electron

Sorry just the way you phrased your question led me to wonder.

Okay, because you are asking about a beam of electrons , I change my advice to that of looking up the resistance of air. The pressure is correlated with temperature and how fast the particles are moving. Although because you are only considering a beam of electrons and not regular atoms, the scattering is not what is considered a diffusion type scattering. Resistance depends on pressure though ( through the correlation with temperature. Find out the resistivity of air.

The penetration length is calculated from the distance at which the current dissipates to zero from the resistance of the air.

I think you need the cross-section for collisions of electrons at your beam energy with the molecules in air.

Pressure will determine the density of molecules, and cross-section times density gives the scattering probability per length, which then leads to the fraction of unscattered electrons as function of distance.

Edit: at atmospheric density, radiation length in air at atmospheric pressure is about 300 meters if I remember correctly. This can be used for high-energetic electrons.

Last edited:
Ash Khan said:
I am actually interested in a beam of electron

What is the context of your question? Why will you have a beam of accelerated electrons in a vessel that has some air in it?

It seem like how far the beam makes it into the air portion of the vessel will also depend on the anode configuration. Is the beam aimed at an anode surface?

This makes sense but i am just confused how i should correlate pressure directly with the maximum penetration distance of electron beam. I tried using deceleration, momentums and other techniques

So, i am doing this experiment where i have a hot filament which is shooting a beam of electrons. Beam is accelerated by two plates with a constant potential. I have a vacuum pump to pump out air and decrease the pressure in the container (cylindrical chamber). I want to derive a formula where i can just enter the value of pressure and figure out how much distance the beam will travel before it stops.

Topolfractal said:
The penetration length is calculated from the distance at which the current dissipates to zero from the resistance of the air.

You can use the formula for the number density [itex] n= \frac{P_{vac}}{k_B T}[/itex]
Where [itex]P_{vac}[/itex] the pressure and [itex]T[/itex] is the temperature. Since you don't know what kind of temperatures you have in your device, using the room temperature is the only natural choice.

So the number of scatterings of the electrons over the gas is [itex] N_{scat} = \sigma_{e/gas} \frac{P}{k_BT} L[/itex] in a total path [itex]L[/itex].

Now the quantity that multiplies the distance L is giving you the inverse mean free path of your electrons within the gas: [itex] \lambda_{mfp} = \frac{1}{\sigma n} = \frac{k_B T}{\sigma_{e/gas} P}[/itex]. After 1 [itex]1 \lambda_{mfp}[/itex] your electron beam intensity has dropped by [itex]e^{-1}[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is an electron beam at low pressure?

An electron beam at low pressure is a stream of electrons that is generated and accelerated in a vacuum chamber to create a beam of high-energy electrons. The low pressure environment allows the electrons to travel without colliding with gas molecules, resulting in a more precise and focused beam.

2. How is an electron beam at low pressure used in scientific research?

An electron beam at low pressure is commonly used in various scientific research fields such as materials science, surface chemistry, and nanotechnology. It is used to analyze the surface structure of materials, deposit thin films, and even manipulate individual atoms.

3. What are the benefits of using an electron beam at low pressure?

Using an electron beam at low pressure allows for high-resolution imaging and analysis of materials, making it a valuable tool for scientific research. It also has the advantage of being able to work with a wide range of materials, from conductors to insulators.

4. What are the potential risks of using an electron beam at low pressure?

The main risk associated with using an electron beam at low pressure is exposure to radiation. It is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when working with this type of equipment. Additionally, care must be taken to avoid damaging the sample being analyzed or processed.

5. How does the low pressure environment affect the behavior of the electron beam?

The low pressure environment allows the electron beam to travel without being scattered or absorbed by gas molecules. This results in a more focused and precise beam that can be used for a variety of purposes in scientific research.