Help needed - Equation of a wedge shaped plane

In summary, you need to use a "piecewise" equation to describe a plane with a different gradient on each side.
stu807
Help needed - Equation of a wedge shaped plane!

Hi All,

I need some help to derive a formula to describe a plane. This I know already but this has all four sides with a different gradient.

Is there a formula I can use which I apply the X (lenght) any Y (width) coordinates and it will give me the Z?

I have attached a pic of the plane with the gradients on each side.

TIA

Stu

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "wedge shaped plane"? A plane cannot be "wedge shaped". Perhaps you mean a surface formed by four separate planes. In that case you will probably need a "piecewise" formula.

Ok, perhaps 'wedge' does not decribe it properly.

It is a 4 sided surface in 3D space where all four sides are at a different angle in relation to the base.

I hope the diagram shows this a little more clearly.

Normally, lines, planes, etc are all describe using equations. E.g. x+2*y+z=4. Note the equality sign.

But if you want to do something like specifying half planes or enclosed regions, then you must describe it using inequalities. E.g. x+2*y+z<4

The best example of this is the difference between a circle and a disc. A circle of radius r is defined by x^2+y^2=r^2. But a disc of radius r, i.e., the area enclosed by the circle, is defined by x^2+y^2<r^2.

That's an enclosed space specified by only one equation, but if you wanted something like a closed off square, you would need several inequalities. For a square of side 2 centered and the origin, you need two inequalities. -1<x<1 and -1<y<1. (OK you could use the taxi cab mean, but let's not)

I still of course haven't answered your original question, namely, how to specify the three dimensional area. Now you need to mix and match equalities and inequalities.

Say your plane was described by x+2*y+z=4. If you combine this equality, with some inequalities, you can describe a region of this plane by giving some inequalities. Say for example -1<3x+y<2 and 3<z+2*x<5. You can then find the four corners of the wedge by solving the sets of equations that represent the boundaries of the inequality regions. i.e.

x+2y+z=4
3x+y=-1
z+2x=3

x+2y+z=4
3x+y=-1
z+2x=5

x+2y+z=4
3x+y=2
z+2x=3

x+2y+z=4
3x+y=2
z+2x=5

Edit: One word of warning. The equations of the boundaries must of course be independant for you to be able to solve for the corner points. So if you like your inequalities and equality must be independant as well. Whatever that means for inequalities.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Cool, thanks!

1. What is a wedge shaped plane?

A wedge shaped plane is a two-dimensional shape that resembles a wedge or triangle. It has three sides and three angles, with one angle being a right angle. It can be visualized as a piece of pie with two straight edges and one curved edge.

2. How do you find the equation of a wedge shaped plane?

To find the equation of a wedge shaped plane, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line. First, identify the two straight edges of the wedge and determine their slopes. Then, use the point-slope form to find the equation of each line. Finally, use the properties of a wedge shaped plane to determine the equation of the curved edge.

3. What are the properties of a wedge shaped plane?

A wedge shaped plane has three sides, three angles, and one right angle. The two straight edges have equal slopes, and the curved edge has a slope of zero. The sum of the angles is always 180 degrees, and the area can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 * base * height.

4. Can the equation of a wedge shaped plane be written in standard form?

Yes, the equation of a wedge shaped plane can be written in standard form, which is Ax + By = C, where A, B, and C are constants. However, it is more commonly expressed in slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

5. How is a wedge shaped plane used in real life?

A wedge shaped plane is commonly used in construction and engineering to create sloping or angled surfaces. It is also used in mathematics to teach concepts such as slope, area, and angles. In everyday life, it can be seen in objects such as ramps, roofs, and wedges used in cutting tools.