Help Needed: Finding MAX and MIN with Maple

• Maple
  • Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple Max
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding finding the maximum and minimum values of a function in Maple. The person has tried different methods, such as differentiation and using fsolve, but has not been successful. Others suggest posting their code for help and mention the possibility of dealing with saddle points. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult a calculus textbook for a procedure in Maple.
Spectre32
Hey guys, I don't know if you can help me or not but i have a question dealing with maple. IT's asking me to find the MAX and Mins with my current function, and I've been trying everything. I differentiate it, and then use fsolve, but i can't get it to work. If anyone has an idea please help out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you post your code, we might be able to help.

Although its not elegant it gives you the max and min's of an expression f:

Code:
with(LinearAlgebra):
f := x^2 + 2*x + 1;
sol := [solve(diff(f,x)=0,x)]:
for i from 1 to Dimension(<sol>) do 
	y[i] := subs(x=sol[i],f): print([sol[i],y[i]]) 
end do:

Yeah i had my fuction set you f and then had something like this:

diff(f,t);
folve(f(t)=0,t);

Or something similar to that. I'm not at my maple computer so I'm trying to recall off the top of my head.

Yeh, but there's still saddle points to deal with. (2nd derivate check)
Look it up in a good calculus textbook and the write out the procedure in maple...

1. What is the purpose of finding MAX and MIN with Maple?

The purpose of finding MAX and MIN with Maple is to determine the maximum and minimum values of a given function or data set. This can be useful in various scientific and mathematical analyses, such as optimization problems, curve fitting, and statistical analysis.

2. How does Maple calculate the maximum and minimum values?

Maple uses different algorithms and methods to find the maximum and minimum values of a function or data set. These include numerical methods, symbolic methods, and gradient-based optimization techniques. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired level of precision.

3. Can Maple find the maximum and minimum values of multi-variable functions?

Yes, Maple has the capability to find the maximum and minimum values of multi-variable functions. However, the process may be more complex and may require the use of advanced techniques such as Lagrange multipliers. It is important to have a good understanding of the function and its variables before attempting to find the maximum and minimum values.

4. Is it possible to find both the maximum and minimum values at the same time with Maple?

Yes, it is possible to find both the maximum and minimum values at the same time with Maple. This can be achieved by using the "minimize" and "maximize" commands, which allow you to specify the range of values to search within. However, it is important to note that the maximum and minimum values may not always occur at the same point.

5. Are there any limitations to using Maple for finding maximum and minimum values?

While Maple is a powerful tool for finding maximum and minimum values, there are some limitations to consider. These include the complexity of the function, the precision of the desired results, and the computational resources available. It is always important to verify the results obtained from Maple and to consider other methods for confirmation.