Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed force on objects

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    I have been racking my brains for 2 days.

I am working on a homebrew video game and am having problems with the physics.

say i have 3 objects, one moving left to right(1) the other 2 moving right to left(2,3).

they all have the same mass and velocity.

Say the mass is 100 units and the velocity is 1 unit.

So far i have been able to get the code to work where if object1 collides with object2 then they both stop moving. What I want to happen is if object3 collides with the back of object2 that it will transfer it's force to both objects and I will get movement in all 3 in the right to left direction.

Friction is zero, not a factor in this.

I think what I am mostly stuck on now is how to calculate the velocity of the group of objects when that 3rd one starts pushing.

Thanks

EDIT

forgot to mention, right now i am only dealing in a 2d plane with the forces only being applied in the X axis.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Sounds like you are modelling elastic collisions. Think "conservation of linear momentum"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum#Elastic_collisions

Why would two objects stop moving if they collide? Wouldn't they bounce back apart?

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    No i am thinking more bulldozer type collisions, it hits the other object and starts moving it if it can, no bounce. I am not going for realism at all here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook