Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed: Google search not working properly.

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    Dear all,

I am facing an annoying problem with Google search and despite spending tens of hours in the net, I can't find the solution. I hope someone can help me out.

The problem is that Google search has become is very slow and most of the time it doesn't return results or and remains in a blank page. Both Firefox and IE show the same behavior.

The history of the problem:

At the beginning, Google was working fine and fast. Starting from about six months ago i felt that Google search was being slow within a week or more, it become slower and slower till a point that it stooped responding. After spending tens of hours and trying everything, finally I solved the solution by installing an add-on called "Https everyhere", my problems was solved and I started enjoying Google search. The add-on uses https isntead of http for the url.

Recently I am facing the same problem again even with the add-ons. Does anyone have any idea as what is the cause of the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Hassan,

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Guess: check for viruses, malware, etc. Also try other search engines (bing, etc.) to see if the problem occurs there.

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    Maybe also clear cookies etc. Also, it can't hurt to do a good cleansing with ccleaner.

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the replies.

I have checked for viruses, nothing was found. Even installing a new OS didn't solve my problem! ( from Windows XP to Windows 7). I don't think it's due to any malwares or viruses then.

Not only Google Search but also any webpage related to google shows the problem. Google home page is not loaded too. Other search engines like Yahoo or Bing work fine.

CCleaner didn't solve the problem either. Host is normal. I am suspecting that there is something about the local network my computer is connected to. I will connect the LAN to a laptop instead of my PC and will see the result.

Thanks.

6. Jul 3, 2012 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

If a fresh OS install didn't work, maybe the network you're on is somehow disconnected from google servers? It's hard to believe that it would be a hardware problem if other sites are accessible.

7. Jul 3, 2012 #6
    The following piece of info may help diagnose the problem:

After I fix the host file using a software called MicrosoftFixit50267.msi and then restart the PC,
    Google works for " a few" searches then stops working.

8. Jul 3, 2012 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What kind of network are you on? Just your home broadband connection or are you at work or university or university housing or what?

9. Jul 3, 2012 #8
    I'm at university and I found that another computer has this problem too.

Thanks.

10. Jul 3, 2012 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm really starting to think you need to talk to your local OIT (I know, it makes me want to puke too).

Maybe somebody's attacking your network or maybe admin are limiting computers for some reason.

11. Jul 3, 2012 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

HUH ??? That doesn't make any sense. Most normal sites cannot be accessed by using the secure version of the URL because they don't have a secure license. It must be doing something else.

12. Jul 4, 2012 #11
    Hey phinds,

I don't know what the add-on does exactly. Here is the explanation:
    https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Perhaps it uses the secure version for those sites that support it.

Pythagorean, I talked to OIT. They had no clear idea. They advised to turn of IPv6. I did but it made no change.

Thanks.

13. Jul 4, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, nearly as I can tell, it is ONLY for sites that HAVE a secure licence, so installing it should have done NOTHING to your abiltiy to connect to 95%+ of the sites in the world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook