Boundary Value Problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0: Help and Solution Guide

• Thread starter bobmerhebi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boundary
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a boundary value problem involving the equation y'' -2y' + 2y = 0, with given conditions of y(0) = 1 and y(pi) = 1. The attempt at a solution involves substitution and factoring, but it is ultimately concluded that there is no solution to this particular BVP. The concept of initial value problems and boundary value problems is also briefly mentioned.
bobmerhebi

Homework Statement

solve the BVP: y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 ... (1)
reduction
y(0) = 1
y(pi) = 1

Homework Equations

y= emx

The Attempt at a Solution

substitution y=emx & its derivatives in (1) we get:

m2 -2m +2 = 0 = (1+i)(1-i)

then y = e(c1 sinx + c2 cosx)

using the conditions given we have:

y(0) = 1 = c2 cosx implies: c2 = 1/e
&
y(pi) = 1 = -ec2 implies: c2 = -1/e

we thus have that c2 = 1/e = -1/e which is impossible & thus the BVP has apparently no solution.

Is my solution correct?
Note that I am taking a course in Ordinary D.E.'s

thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
bobmerhebi said:

2 -2m +2 = 0 = (1+i)(1-i)

I assume you mean that this factors as m={(1+i),(1-i)}, and not that 0=(1+i)(1-i), which doesn't make sense.

now you have solutions for m, which you can plug back into your assumption that [tex]y=e^{mx}[/tex], i believe what you're missing is that you are factoring that solution for m incorrectly in order to obtain the y's

~Lyuokdea

actually yes. what i meant is that m1 = 1+i & m2 = 1-i

moreover, the general solution when the roots are complex is of the form:

y = e[tex]\alpha[/tex] { c1 sin ([tex]\beta[/tex] x) + c2 cos([tex]\beta[/tex] x) }

with [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1 & [tex]\beta[/tex] = 1 in this exercise.

so the solution becomes as previously written.

Yes, that is exactly what happens. This is an important difference between "initial value problems" and "boundary value problems". We have an "existance and uniqueness theorem" that says that as long as the differential equation is nice there exist a unique solution no matter what the initial conditions are.

With boundary value problems it is not so simple. For very simple differential equations you can have boundary conditions for which there is no solution or boundary value conditions for which there are an infinite number of solutions.

A simpler example is y"+ y= 0 with y(0)= 0, y(pi)= 1 which has no solution or y"+ y= 0 with y(0)= 0, y(pi)= 0 which has an infinite number of solutions.

Think of it as computing the trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun (which would give a fairly simple differential equation). Setting the gun at a specific point and aiming it in a given direction is an example of an "initial value" problem. The bullet will follow a single trajectory whether we can calculate it or not. Setting the gun at a specific point and requiring that the bullet hit a specific point on the target is an example of a "boundary value" problem. It may happen that the bullet can't hit that point (the target is beyond its range) or that there may be two different trajectories that will hit it (one above 45 degrees and the other below).

so this BVP i have with those conditions has no solution.

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the solution is sought for a set of differential equations subject to certain constraints or boundary conditions. It involves finding a function that satisfies the given differential equation and the specified boundary conditions.

2. What is the significance of the boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0?

The boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 is a second-order linear differential equation that has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model physical systems where the behavior of a certain quantity is influenced by both its current value and its rate of change.

3. How do you solve the boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0?

The solution to the boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 involves finding the general solution to the given differential equation and then using the specified boundary conditions to determine the constants in the general solution. The general solution can be obtained through various techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

4. What are the common techniques used to solve boundary value problems?

The most commonly used techniques to solve boundary value problems include the method of undetermined coefficients, separation of variables, and the Laplace transform method. These methods involve finding a general solution to the given differential equation and then applying the boundary conditions to determine the constants in the solution.

5. Can the boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 have multiple solutions?

Yes, the boundary value problem for y'' -2y' + 2y = 0 can have multiple solutions depending on the specified boundary conditions. This is because the general solution to the given differential equation can have different constants depending on the boundary conditions, resulting in different solutions.