Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed in constructing project

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    I am trying to construct a wood platform that rotates both clockwise and counter - clockwise. It needs to be able to hold an adult and be propelled by an electric motor that can be operated from a short distance from the platform. It doesn't need to be fancy, I just need it to rotate people at a decent speed. I have some basic ideas about the construction, but don't know what mechanical parts to use. Please help me figure this out.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your ideas, how much can you spend, and what are your resources for parts?

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Harry, hee hee, you faked me out. I happened to pop up your other post and thought that this one never posted. :biggrin: You're not supposed to double post. Tsk tsk tsk...

5. Aug 22, 2004 #4
    The best way to it.
    the best and the cheapest way to do it is that you should use a D.C motor its advantage over A.C motor, for your project is, by reversing the current you can reverse the direction of the rotation of motor. To construct the platform make a strong stand, and the platformmust be connected to it with a ball-bearing set. at the bottom of the platform fix a wheel on which a belt (to connect motor to platform) can be used. fix the motor on the stand and connectit with the platform using a rubber belt. you can control the RPM of the platform by using a suitable radius of the wheel fixed to the platform, using larger wheel decrease the RPM of the platform. make suitable connection witha thw battery and rotate it any direction you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?