Help needed in debunking this:

• Thread starter elliswonders
  • Start date
In summary, there is a need for assistance in debunking certain claims or theories that may lack credibility or evidence. This could involve conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting factual information to refute these claims. It is important to approach debunking with an open mind and a critical thinking mindset in order to effectively address and disprove potentially misleading information.
elliswonders
Hey all, I'm hoping you can help me out on this. First, I should mention that I'm not one of those folks who believes in "free energy." I submit to the law of energy conservation, but recently I've been trying to figure out why a perpetual motion machine made of permanent magnets wouldn't work. Here's a reference of sorts:

Now, I get that I'm missing something, but could I get a clear explanation of why that thing isn't really spinning on its own? (And please be nice. I KNOW I don't know as much as some people here, that's why I'm asking in the first place).

On a related note, even if a machine similar to the one in the link isn't creating "free energy," would it be possible to build one that lasts a long time? Why wouldn't that be a viable alternative to current energy sources? I'm not looking to run out and try this myself, I'm here to learn!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im not a moderator, but I suspect this thread will be locked. PhysicsForums doesn't generally do "debunking" in this fashion for a variety of reasons.

Modus is correct. Discussion of perpetual motion machines, free energy devices, and similar trains of thought are not allowed here at PF, not even for the purposes of debunking them. That kind of discussion is a magnet for crackpots, as past experience has shown us.

If you wish to understand why these machines don't work, your best bet is to learn about magnets and how they work.

I guess I can appreciate that policy. And I guess I'd gain more in the long run if I figured this one out for myself (as I already KNOW the answer...but just like a physics test question, answers aren't worth nill if you can't show your work...)

Also, nice pun Drakkith :D

1. What is the meaning of "debunking"?

Debunking refers to the act of disproving or exposing something as false or untrue.

2. Why is it important to debunk information?

It is important to debunk information in order to prevent the spread of misinformation and promote accurate knowledge and understanding.

3. How do you determine if something is false or misleading?

Determining if something is false or misleading requires critical thinking and examining evidence and sources. It is important to consider multiple perspectives and sources before coming to a conclusion.

4. What is the scientific method and how does it relate to debunking?

The scientific method is a systematic process used to answer questions and test hypotheses. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. Debunking often involves using the scientific method to evaluate claims and determine their validity.

5. How can I help in debunking false information?

You can help in debunking false information by fact-checking information before sharing it, using credible sources, and questioning claims that seem too good to be true. You can also educate others on how to spot misinformation and encourage critical thinking.