Help needed in proving a integral equation

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a double integral involving exponential and binomial terms. The suggested method is to use the binomial theorem on one of the variables and then integrate the resulting separable integrals. However, there is a discrepancy in the resulting integral as it contains an extra variable.
vineel49

Homework Statement

Help needed in simplifying this one
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_0^{Inf} {{e^{ - \alpha X - \beta Y}} \cdot F(X + Y + c)} } \cdot {X^d} \cdot {Y^e} \cdot dX \cdot dY\right]$$ is equal to

$$\left[\sum\limits_{i = 0}^d {d{C_k} \cdot } {( - 1)^{d - i}} \cdot \left[ {\left( {\frac{{factorial(d + e - i)}}{{{{(\beta - \alpha )}^{d + e - i + 1}}}} \cdot \{ \int\limits_0^{Inf} {{\operatorname{e} ^{\alpha t}} \cdot F(t + c) \cdot {t^i} \cdot dt)} \} } \right) - \left( {\sum\limits_{j = 0}^{d + e - i} {\frac{{S(d + e - i,j - 1)}}{{{{(\beta - \alpha )}^{j + 1}}}}} \cdot \{ \int\limits_0^{Inf} {{\operatorname{e} ^{\beta t}} \cdot F(t + c) \cdot {t^{d + e - j}} \cdot dt)} \} } \right)} \right]\right]$$

Homework Equations

alpha,beta are constants; d & e are non negative integers, X & Y are variables
dCk is binomial coefficient. S(x1,x2)=x1*(x1-1)*...(x1-x2) and S(x1,x2)=1 when x2<0. F is a even function

The Attempt at a Solution

put X+Y=V and Y=U. All I need is help in start up -JUST FIRST 2-3 steps, from there I can solve on my own. After taking X+Y=V and Y=U , how many integrals will come?
Is this the right way to start
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_U^{Inf} {{e^{ - \alpha (V - U) - \beta (U)}} \cdot F(V + c) \cdot } } {(V - U)^d} \cdot {U^e} \cdot dV \cdot dU\right]$$ ?
There is something wrong in
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_U^{Inf} {( - )dV \cdot dU} } \right]$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I started simplifying from
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_U^{Inf} {{e^{ - \alpha (V - U) - \beta (U)}} \cdot F(V + c) \cdot } } {(V - U)^d} \cdot {U^e} \cdot dV \cdot dU\right]$$ . Finally I coudn't reach right hand side of the equation. There is something wrong in
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_U^{Inf} {( - )dV \cdot dU} } \right]$$

hi vineel49! :smile:
vineel49 said:
Is this the right way to start
$$\left[\int\limits_0^{Inf} {\int\limits_U^{Inf} {{e^{ - \alpha (V - U) - \beta (U)}} \cdot F(V + c) \cdot } } {(V - U)^d} \cdot {U^e} \cdot dV \cdot dU\right]$$

yes :smile:

now use the binomial theorem on the (V - U)d,

then your ∫∫ is the sum of lots of separable ∫∫, of the form

∫∫ f(U)g(V) dUdV = {∫ f(U) dU} {∫ g(V) dV} :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi vineel49! :smile:

yes :smile:

now use the binomial theorem on the (V - U)d,

then your ∫∫ is the sum of lots of separable ∫∫, of the form

∫∫ f(U)g(V) dUdV = {∫ f(U) dU} {∫ g(V) dV} :wink:

I did in the way u suggested, but I was left out with a 'U' variable. but the answer doesnot contain 'U' .

vineel49 said:
I did in the way u suggested, but I was left out with a 'U' variable. but the answer doesnot contain 'U' .

yes, but you can integrate the {∫ f(U) dU} (which of course eliminates U), since that function f is known :wink:

1. How do you prove an integral equation?

To prove an integral equation, you must show that the equation holds for all possible values of the variable. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or manipulating the equation algebraically.

2. What are the steps for proving an integral equation?

The steps for proving an integral equation include identifying the equation to be proven, understanding the properties of integrals and their corresponding rules, using mathematical techniques to manipulate the equation, and showing that the equation holds for all possible values of the variable.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove integral equations?

Some common techniques used to prove integral equations include substitution, integration by parts, and algebraic manipulation. Other techniques may also be used, depending on the specific equation and its properties.

4. Can an integral equation be proven using only algebra?

Yes, an integral equation can be proven using only algebra. However, the specific techniques used may vary depending on the equation and its properties. In some cases, other mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may also be necessary.

5. What is the importance of proving an integral equation?

Proving an integral equation is important because it allows us to establish the validity of the equation and its corresponding properties. This is necessary for using the equation in further calculations and for understanding its applications in different areas of mathematics and science.