Help needed in proving a number to be perfect square

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, using mathematical induction, it can be proven that the number \underbrace{1...1}_{1997}\underbrace{2...2}_{1998}5 is a perfect square, with its square root being \underbrace{3...3}_{1998}5.
murshid_islam
the number 11...122...25 has 1997 1's and 1998 2's. now how do i show that the number is a perfect square? i don't even know where to start. any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by that number, or with how many 1997/1998s are in it, you mean exactly, or that's how many whole 2's/1's are in it. eg there may be a remainder.

the first 1997 digits of the number are 1s.
the next 1998 digits of the number are 2s.
the last digit of the number is 5.

i have to show that the number is a perfect square. i hope i have stated it clearly now. can anyone help me? thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It's and interesting question. I don't know how to prove it but I've got a hunch that the square root of that number is the 1998 digit integer whos first (leftmost) 1997 digits are all 3 and whos 1998th digit (rightmost) is 5.

Last edited:
uart said:
It's and interesting question. I don't know how to prove it but the square root of that number is the 1998 digit integer whos first (leftmost) 1997 digits are all 3 and whos 1998th digit (rightmost) is 5.
i guessed that much by seeing that
[tex]\sqrt{1225} = 35[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{112225} = 335[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{11122225} = 3335[/tex]

but what i want is a proof.

Prove it by induction. Use that [tex]\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5 = 3\underbrace{0...0}_{k-2} + \underbrace{3...3}_{k-1}5[/tex] and then consider [tex](\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5)^{2}[/tex] using that expansion.

sorry, but i still can't prove that [tex]\underbrace{1...1}_{1997}\underbrace{2...2}_{1998}5[/tex] is a perfect square. this is probably an incredibly stupid question. but how does the expansion you suggested help?

You have a number. You *know* its square root. So what is the issue? Just square the number you think is the square root. Ok, so its too big to do on your calculator, but so what? Do it by long hand if necessary (and that doesn't mean write out all the digits). Alphanumeric's hint would appear to be the perfect answer.

matt grime said:
Alphanumeric's hint would appear to be the perfect answer.
if i understood AlphaNumeric's hint, i wouldn't have asked for more help. anyway,

AlphaNumeric said:
Use that [tex]\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5 = 3\underbrace{0...0}_{k-2} + \underbrace{3...3}_{k-1}5[/tex]
shouldn't it be [tex]\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5 = 3\underbrace{0...0}_{k} + \underbrace{3...3}_{k-1}5[/tex]?

Whatever. Just square it and use the obvious induction argument that you'd already noticed in post 5.

To answer your question, just square what you know is the answer. To show how it would be derived on an occasion you don't know the answer, which isn't your question, I have no idea. If that's the question, your just going for overkill.

ok i think i have got it. just let me know if i am wrong. this is what i have done:

i want to prove that
[tex]\left(\underbrace{3...3}_{n}5\right)^{2} = \underbrace{1...1}_{n}\underbrace{2...2}_{n+1}5[/tex] for any [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

this is obviously true for n = 1, since [tex](35)^2 = 1225[/tex]

next i assume that it is true for n = k, i.e.,
[tex]\left(\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5\right)^{2} = \underbrace{1...1}_{k}\underbrace{2...2}_{k+1}5[/tex]

now i have to prove it for n = k + 1. For n = k + 1,

[tex]\left(\underbrace{3...3}_{k+1}5\right)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]= \left(3\underbrace{0...0}_{k+1} + \underbrace{3...3}_{k}5\right)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]= \left(3\underbrace{0...0}_{k+1}\right)^{2} + 2\left(3\underbrace{0...0}_{k+1}\right)\left(\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5\right) + \left(\underbrace{3...3}_{k}5\right)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]= 9\underbrace{0...0}_{2k+2} + 2\underbrace{0...0}_{k-1}1\underbrace{0...0}_{k+2} + \underbrace{1...1}_{k}\underbrace{2...2}_{k+1}5[/tex]

[tex]= 9\underbrace{0...0}_{k}\underbrace{0...0}_{k+2} + 2\underbrace{0...0}_{k-1}1\underbrace{0...0}_{k+2} + \underbrace{1...1}_{k}\underbrace{2...2}_{k+1}5[/tex]

[tex]= 11\underbrace{1...1}_{k-1}2\underbrace{2...2}_{k+1}5[/tex]

[tex]= \underbrace{1...1}_{k+1}\underbrace{2...2}_{k+2}5[/tex]

did i do anything wrong? or is it correct?

Last edited:
That's an excellent use of mathematical induction, and every step is correct.

What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that is the result of multiplying an integer by itself.

How can I prove that a number is a perfect square?

One way to prove that a number is a perfect square is by taking the square root of the number and checking if the result is an integer. If it is, then the number is a perfect square.

What are some methods for proving a number to be a perfect square?

There are several methods for proving a number to be a perfect square, including using prime factorization, completing the square, or using the properties of perfect squares.

Can a number be both a perfect square and a prime number?

Yes, a number can be both a perfect square and a prime number. For example, 4 is a perfect square (2 x 2) and also a prime number.

Is there a shortcut or formula for determining if a number is a perfect square?

Yes, there is a shortcut for determining if a number is a perfect square. If the last digit of the number is 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, or 9, then the number is a perfect square. If the last digit is 2, 3, 7, or 8, then it is not a perfect square.