HELP NEEDED - Last Modern Physics I exam tomorrow

In summary, Zach is having trouble with a few problems from the last Modern Physics I exam. He is not sure how to do the integrals or what the solutions should be. He is a physics major/degree holder.
Shackleford
URGENT HELP NEEDED - Last Modern Physics I exam tomorrow

I've done reasonably well in the class so far. However, I have not done well since starting modern quantum mechanics. The last several problem sets have covered quantum mechanics, and I failed Problem Set 6. I've never failed anything in college. The last exam in Modern Physics I (no comprehensive final) is tomorrow. I know this thread is a bit lengthy, and I'd be willing to paypal some $$$ if someone wants to really help me out. If I'm having this much trouble in the beginning of modern quantum mechanics, I've deeply worried about Modern Physics II next semester. :frown:

Let's just focus on the integration, particularly the wave function in momentum space integrals.
PS6.2 - I'm not sure how she got lines two and three.

PS6.5 - I have no clue what she did.

PS6.8 - I setup the initial integral correctly, but I don't know how she got the two integrals.

PS6.16 - Again, I setup the initial integral correctly, but I'm not sure how she got the final integral.
PS7.5 - I don't know what I did wrongly in my computation.

PS7.6 - Again, I don't know what I did wrongly in my computation.

PS7.14 - No clue on how she did the integral. This is clearly a recurring theme for me. I'm not sure how to do these integrals.

Problem Set 6: #2, 5, 8, 16

Problems

G2-2.jpg

G2-5.jpg

G2-8.jpg

G2-16.jpg

My Pitiful Work

ps6a.jpg

ps6b.jpg

Solutions Posted by TA

ps6corr1.jpg

ps6corr2.jpg

Problem Set 7: #5, 6, 14

Problems

G3-56.jpg

G3-14.jpg

My Pitiful Work

ps7a.jpg

ps7b.jpg

Solutions Posted by TA

ps7corr.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Line 2 comes directly from the question. All she did was square both sides of the given expression and and solve for [tex] v^2 - {v_0}^2 [/tex].

For the third line:

[tex]v_g = -{\lambda}^2\frac{dv}{d\lambda} [/tex]

[tex] v^2 - {v_0}^2 = \frac{c^2}{{\lambda}^2} [/tex]

Take the derivative:

[tex] 2v\frac{dv}{d\lambda} - 0 = \frac{-2c^2}{{\lambda}^3} \rightarrow \frac{dv}{d\lambda} = -\frac{c^2}{v{\lambda}^3} [/tex]

Plug that into

[tex]v_g = -{\lambda}^2\frac{dv}{d\lambda} [/tex]

And then plug the original equation for [tex] \lambda [/tex] into it.

Zach, thanks. I understand everything except the derivative. Why is the zero there?

I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't even pull the first correction line out of my butt. :rolleyes:

Shackleford said:
Zach, thanks. I understand everything except the derivative. Why is the zero there?

Because [tex] v_0 [/tex] is just a constant. I tried to figure some of the other problems out but failed miserably :grumpy:.

zachzach said:
Because [tex] v_0 [/tex] is just a constant. I tried to figure some of the other problems out but failed miserably :grumpy:.

Ah. Of course it's a constant.

Do those momentum-space wave function or expectation-value integrals make sense to you?

Shackleford said:
Ah. Of course it's a constant.

Do those momentum-space wave function integrals make sense to you?

Well the reason you split them up is because is because the absolute value. Just like if
[tex] f(x) = |x| [/tex]

If you integrated that from -2 to 2 you would have to split it up into two different integrals. When x < 0 you have to integrate y = -x and when x > 0 you have to integrate y = x. so
[tex]

\int_{-2}^{2} |x| dx = \int_{-2}^{0} -x dx + \int_{0}^{2} x dx [/tex]I'm not sure if this is what you were asking though.

Ah. Because it's the absolute value of x?

Shackleford said:
Ah. Because it's the absolute value of x?

Yes. Look of the graph of |x| compared to just x. It might help you visualize it. Also graph [tex] e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex] e^{-|x|} [/tex] and see the difference. Especially in integrating the function.

zachzach said:
Yes. Look of the graph of |x| compared to just x. It might help you visualize it. Also graph [tex] e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex] e^{-|x|} [/tex] and see the difference. Especially in integrating the function.

Of course, they give very different function values. Dammit. I forget these important details and it completely screws me up.

Now, what about #14 and 16? I think #5 might be a lost cause for me. lol.

Shackleford said:
Of course, they give very different function values. Dammit. I forget these important details and it completely screws me up.

Now, what about #14 and 16? I think #5 might be a lost cause for me. lol.

I am terrible at Quantum lol. But on 16 why did you change the limits from -inf -> inf into
0 -> inf?

Also do you get the odd function thing?

I must go i'll try to solve over the night.

Last edited:

zachzach said:
I am terrible at Quantum lol. But on 16 why did you change the limits from -inf -> inf into
0 -> inf?

Also do you get the odd function thing?

What's your major/degree?

I shouldn't have changed the integration limits. I did that on a few ones. lol.

Yeah, I saw that in the book. If you integrate an odd function over symmetric limits, you get a zero value. I assume the oddness of the function is based on the exponent of x. x^1 and x^17 are odd, but x^2 is even.

For question 14, I think you're correct just need the trick for the Fourier transform of a Gaussian...

So you have the Fourier transform on your wavepacket:

[tex]\mathcal{F}\left[ \psi(x) \right]= \left( \frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \exp\left[-\frac{\alpha}{2}x^2 + i \frac{p}{\hbar}x \right]\,\rm{d}x[/tex]

We can re-write the exponential term by using a complete the squares method ie..

[tex]-\frac{\alpha}{2}x^2 + i \frac{p}{h}x = -\frac{\alpha}{2}\left(x - \frac{ip}{\hbar\alpha} \right)^2 + \frac{p^2}{\hbar^2 \alpha^2}[/tex]

And the other crucial point for evaluating this integral is

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \exp\left[ -\frac{\alpha}{2}(x - \frac{ip}{\hbar\alpha})^2\right] \,\rm{d}x = 1[/tex]

Just noticed that my integral slightly differs from your TA solution, the trick is fine just check whether I missed a symbol or not.

Hope this helps, and good luck :wink:

For question 16, I started with

[tex]\left\langle x^n \right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\psi^\ast(x) x^n \psi(x) \rm{d}x[/tex]

So that immediately we notice that this function is anti-symmetric when n is odd. In such case, for every point +x there is a point of equal and opposite value at -x. Thus the integral over all space = 0

For n=2 this function is symmetric and so you can evaluate the integral as twice the integral from [itex]x= 0[/itex] to [itex]x = +\infty[/itex], which is a well-defined standard integral. I can't decipher how the TA solution got there, but I get the same answer.

Shackleford said:
What's your major/degree?

I shouldn't have changed the integration limits. I did that on a few ones. lol.

Yeah, I saw that in the book. If you integrate an odd function over symmetric limits, you get a zero value. I assume the oddness of the function is based on the exponent of x. x^1 and x^17 are odd, but x^2 is even.

That's correct. Odd functions over even intervals (- some value to + some value) will give 0. Try integrating x on [-1,1] -- it's the same concept. That is also really nifty for evaluating higher dimension integrals.

The idea will come in handy when dealing with different quantum states.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll have to look it over when I have some free time here at work.

BerryBoy said:
For question 14, I think you're correct just need the trick for the Fourier transform of a Gaussian...

So you have the Fourier transform on your wavepacket:

[tex]\mathcal{F}\left[ \psi(x) \right]= \left( \frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{4}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \exp\left[-\frac{\alpha}{2}x^2 + i \frac{p}{\hbar}x \right]\,\rm{d}x[/tex]

We can re-write the exponential term by using a complete the squares method ie..

[tex]-\frac{\alpha}{2}x^2 + i \frac{p}{h}x = -\frac{\alpha}{2}\left(x - \frac{ip}{\hbar\alpha} \right)^2 + \frac{p^2}{\hbar^2 \alpha^2}[/tex]

And the other crucial point for evaluating this integral is

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \exp\left[ -\frac{\alpha}{2}(x - \frac{ip}{\hbar\alpha})^2\right] \,\rm{d}x = 1[/tex]

Just noticed that my integral slightly differs from your TA solution, the trick is fine just check whether I missed a symbol or not.

Hope this helps, and good luck :wink:

Wow. I never would have figured out what square to complete! The second term is simply a constant. Why is the first term integral equal to one? I'm not familiar with the trick of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian. It might be in m QM book, but I'll have to look.

You can observe the why the first integral is equal to one by a transform of variables, from x to say y
[tex]y = x - \frac{ip}{\hbar \alpha}[/tex]
[tex]\rm{d}y = \rm{d}x[/tex]

So it the solution to the integral is just a standard integral with the argument that the complex term does not change your limits of integration.

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty}\exp\left[ -\frac{\alpha}{2}y^2\right] \rm{\, d}y = \sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{\alpha}}[/tex]

Gaussian distributions are very important in quantum mechanics, maths and optics because they are Fourier transforms of themselves (in other words, your answer should certainly have the following form)

[tex]\psi(p) = A\exp\left[-\beta p^2\right][/tex]

where [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are some constants.

Shackleford said:
Wow. I never would have figured out what square to complete! The second term is simply a constant. Why is the first term integral equal to one? I'm not familiar with the trick of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian. It might be in m QM book, but I'll have to look.

Sorry, bad communication on my part. The "trick" is to re-write the equation by "completing the square" in the integrand exponential; just so that you get something you can integrate easily.

1. What topics should I focus on for the Modern Physics exam?

For the Modern Physics exam, it is important to have a strong understanding of topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic and nuclear physics, and particle physics. Make sure to review all of the material covered in class and in your textbook.

2. How can I prepare for the exam in one day?

One day may not seem like enough time to prepare for an exam, but there are some effective strategies you can use. Start by creating a study schedule and prioritize the topics that you feel least confident in. Use practice problems and review notes to reinforce your understanding. Also, make sure to get a good night's sleep before the exam.

3. Are there any specific equations or formulas I should know for the exam?

Yes, there are several important equations and formulas that you should be familiar with for the Modern Physics exam. These include the equations for special relativity, wave-particle duality, atomic energy levels, and more. Make sure to review them and practice using them in different contexts.

4. What type of questions can I expect on the exam?

The exam will likely consist of a mix of multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. It is important to be familiar with the concepts and able to apply them to different scenarios. Make sure to read each question carefully and show all of your work for problem-solving questions.

5. What resources can I use to study for the Modern Physics exam?

In addition to your class notes and textbook, there are several resources you can use to study for the exam. These include online tutorials, practice problems, and review sheets. You can also form a study group with your classmates to review together and clarify any confusing concepts.