Solve System with Matrices: Finding Unique Solutions for k Values

• Thread starter uranium_235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, Daniel is providing a summary of the content. He does not know what a unique solution is, nor has he ever heard of it. If a system has a unique solution, then the determinant of the coefficients must be zero.
uranium_235
I know how to determine the determinant, and the inverse, and how to sovle a system with the inverse of a matrice, but I have no idea what these two questions are talking about:
1. Find the values of [tex]k[/tex] for which the system
[tex]kx+2y=1[/tex]
[tex]3x+(k-1)y=1[/tex]
does not have a unique solution. If [tex]k[/tex] does not have these values, find the unique solution. For each value of [tex]k[/tex] for which no unique solution exists, determine whether or not any solution of the system exists.

what is this question asking me for? What is a unique solution?

2. Find the values of [tex]k[/tex] for which the system
[tex]x+2y+2z=1[/tex]
[tex]2x+y+2z=4[/tex]
[tex]3x+3y+kz=5[/tex]
has a unique solution. Find this unique solution and solve the system for any values of [tex]k[/tex] for which the unique solution does not exist.

again, wtf?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the condition for a nonhomogenous system to have unique solution?

Daniel.

I do not know what a unique solution is, nor have I ever heard the term nonhomogenous.

Then my advice is to study theory first and then get busy (trying to) solve(ing) problems...

Daniel.

this is not some independant study topic. This is from a practice booklet the teacher gave us, a question which the tacher recomnded we do. So, my current knowledge should suffice in answering this question.
What I know: -determinants
-inverses
-simple matrix operations
-solving systems with matrix inverses
-there being no solution if a system forms a singular matrix

The IV-th item of your "list" is the key.

Yes,setting the determinant of coefficients to zero will ensure nonuniqueness of solutions.

Daniel.

For the 2nd question, if nonuniqueness equates to there being no solution, the that is easy, k = 4, but for a unique solution, could not that be anything but for in the field of k?

I'm sorry,i really didn't understand your question.Could you please rephrase it using other words...?

Daniel.

I really don't know what a unique solution is. One of the answers it gives in the answers section is k cannot equal 4, which is the restriction should there be a solution to the system, if k = 4 detA = 0. So if k=4 means the system has no unique solutions, what does it mean if it does have unique solutions? How could you figure that out? Would not any value of k other than 4 bring about a system with unique solutions?

Yes,any value different than 4 would make unique solution.

Daniel.

I am sorely tempted to ask "Do you know what a "dictionary" is"?
(but I won't).

"Solution" a value (in this case a vector or set of numbers) that satisfies the equation.

"unique" only one.

You don't actually need to know anything about matrices to answer these questions.

kx+ 2y= 1
3x+ (k-1)y= 1

Try to solve the pair of equations. For what values of k can you NOT get a single (unique) solution? If you can get a single solution what is it?

Yes, you could write this as a matrix equation. You can solve for a single (unique) result as long as you can take the inverse of the matrix- as long as the determinant is not 0. What value of k makes the determinant 0?

Also keep in mind that for a system of Linear Equations, there are only 3 possibilities:
1) No Solutions
2) 1 Solution (The "Unique" Solution)
3) Infinite Number of Solutions

~~

1. What are matrices used for?

Matrices are used to organize and manipulate data in a mathematical or scientific context. They are particularly useful for solving systems of equations, representing transformations, and performing statistical analysis.

2. How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply matrices, you need to make sure that the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, you multiply corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix with corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix and add them together to get the resulting element in the new matrix.

3. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a special type of matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied with another matrix, the identity matrix acts as the equivalent of multiplying by 1 - it leaves the other matrix unchanged.

4. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is found by using the inverse matrix method, which involves finding the determinant of the original matrix, finding the adjugate matrix, and then multiplying the adjugate matrix by the reciprocal of the determinant. This inverse matrix can then be multiplied with the original matrix to get the identity matrix.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrices?

Matrices have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, economics, and more. Some examples include using matrices to represent networks in transportation or telecommunication systems, to analyze data in social networks, and to model and solve problems in quantum mechanics.