Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed! Mature student :/

1. Oct 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I'm a mature student and I'm finding access to physics a real challenge could anyone help me understand these two questions. We covered SUVAT equations but still I think they are pretty vague.

'Sarah aims a gun at Jim, with a view to killing him. She stands 300m away and aims at his heart. The gun is held at the same height as Jim's heart, the muzzle speed of the gun is 340 m/s. Where does she strike Jim?'

My second question is

'Water emerges from a horizontally held hose pipe, with a speed of 4 m/s the pipe is pointed at point (P) on a wall (vertical) two meters from the pipe.
    Calculate how far the water strikes the wall?'

I'm not asking anyone to just do my work for me, I'm just looking for assistance as I'm finding physics a bit of a struggle :)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry I'm new to this forum, I think I messed up the layout :s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2010 #2
    What you'll have to consider in both problems is how far the objects will move downwards as a result of gravity.

A good start would be finding out how long it takes e.g for the bullet to hit Jim and then setting up some equations relating the acceleration due to gravity to the distance travelled (in the direction of gravity).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook