Get Physics Help for Mature Students: Understanding SUVAT Equations and More

• Thread starter ste_1129
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, a mature student is seeking help with understanding two physics questions. One involves a gun being aimed at a person 300m away and the other involves water being shot from a hose pipe onto a wall. The student is not asking for the work to be done for them, but for assistance in understanding the problems. They mention using SUVAT equations and considering the effects of gravity in solving the problems.
ste_1129

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm a mature student and I'm finding access to physics a real challenge could anyone help me understand these two questions. We covered SUVAT equations but still I think they are pretty vague.

'Sarah aims a gun at Jim, with a view to killing him. She stands 300m away and aims at his heart. The gun is held at the same height as Jim's heart, the muzzle speed of the gun is 340 m/s. Where does she strike Jim?'

My second question is

'Water emerges from a horizontally held hose pipe, with a speed of 4 m/s the pipe is pointed at point (P) on a wall (vertical) two meters from the pipe.
Calculate how far the water strikes the wall?'

I'm not asking anyone to just do my work for me, I'm just looking for assistance as I'm finding physics a bit of a struggle :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Sorry I'm new to this forum, I think I messed up the layout :s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you'll have to consider in both problems is how far the objects will move downwards as a result of gravity.

A good start would be finding out how long it takes e.g for the bullet to hit Jim and then setting up some equations relating the acceleration due to gravity to the distance traveled (in the direction of gravity).

1. What kind of help does the mature student need?

The specific type of help needed may vary depending on the individual's circumstances. It could range from academic support, such as tutoring or study strategies, to financial assistance, like scholarships or grants.

2. Is there a specific age range for being considered a "mature student"?

The definition of a mature student can vary among institutions, but generally it refers to individuals who are over the age of 25 and returning to education after a significant break.

3. Are there any special programs or resources available for mature students?

Many universities and colleges have programs specifically designed to support mature students, such as academic advising, career services, and networking opportunities. It's important to research and inquire about these resources at your chosen institution.

4. How can I balance my responsibilities as a mature student with other commitments?

Managing responsibilities as a mature student can be challenging, but there are strategies that can help. Prioritizing tasks, utilizing time management techniques, and seeking support from family and friends can all help maintain balance.

5. Are there any advantages to being a mature student?

Yes, there are several advantages to being a mature student. Many mature students have valuable life experience and skills, such as time management, problem-solving, and critical thinking, that can benefit them in their education and future career.