1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed! Mean free path of photons.

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Neutral atomic hydrogen cloud, density [tex]n_H[/tex]. Absorption cross section [tex]\sigma_{0} = 6.3*10^{-18}cm^{2}[/tex]. Determine the mean free path of photons with energy of 20eV, for densities [tex]n_H[/tex] = 1, 10 and 100 [tex]cm^{-3}[/tex]. Compare this to mfp for photons with ionisation energy of hydrogen (13.6eV) at the same densities.

2. Relevant equations

The only possibly relevant equation given in our notes is [tex]\tau_{\nu}=\sigma_{0}*(\frac{\nu}{\nu_{0}})^{-3.5}*n_{H^{0}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'll be able to try the second bit once I figure out the first bit! I looked up some stuff on the mean free path, and figured that it could've just been [tex]l=\frac{1}{n_{i}*\sigma}[/tex], but then is [tex]n_i[/tex] the same as [tex]n_H[/tex]? And the equation given in the notes (above), all that is said about it is that the optical depth of photons above the Lyman limit [tex]\nu_0[/tex] can be derived from it. I simply can't see where to put in the amount of energy so that it will make a difference!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    Anyone got any idea?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?