Help needed on a bunch of Newton/Force problems

• Thread starter TripelS
  • Start date
In summary, the astronaut's mass on the planet is 69 N, and her weight on the planet is 990 N. Question 1 has a mass of 25 kg, and the acceleration is 0.20 m/s2. Question 2 has a mass of 76.5 g, and the acceleration is 2.5 s/s. Question 5 has a tension of 210 N. Question 6 has a tension of 1:1. Question 7 has a tension of 980 N. Question 8 has a tension of 2000 N. Question 9 has a tension of g. Question 10 has a tension of zero.
TripelS
Now I wasn't sure if this would be Intro or Advanced so posted in both:

o we went over these questions in school,... and I was absent.. So my teacher expects me to self-teach myself. But I have trouble with these specific questions (out of 50 questions )...

Please show me steps

Question 1:
A mass of 25 kg is acted on by two forces: F1 is 15 N due east, and F2 is 10 N due north. The acceleration of the mass is

A. 0.72 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.
B. 0.20 m/s2, east.
C. 0.72 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
D. 1.0 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
E. 0.20 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.

Question 2:

An astronaut lands on an earthlike planet and drops a small lead ball with a mass of 76.5 g from top of her spaceship. The point of release is 18 m above the surface of the planet and the ball takes 2.5 s to reach the ground. The astronaut's mass on Earth is 68.5 kg. Her weight on the planet is

A. 69 N
B. 395 N
C. 670 N
D. 990 N
E. 1.02 kN

Question 5:

A lamp with a mass 42.6 kg is hanging from wires as shown. The tension T1 in the Vertical wire is

A. 210 N
B. 417 N
C. 570 N
D. 360 N
E. 730 N

Question 6:

A lamp with a mass M is suspended from the ceiling by two cords as shown. The ratio of the magnitude of the vertical component of the tension in T2 to that in T3 is

A. 1:1
B. 1:2
C. 2:3
D. 3:2
E. 3:1

Question 7:

A vertical rope is attached to an object that has a mass of 40.0 kg and is at rest. The tension in the rope needed to give the object an upward speed of 3.50 m/s in 0.700 s is

A. 592 N
B. 392 N
C. 200 N
D. 980 N
E. 729 N

Question 8:

A 6 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 2 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
B.(1/2)g
C. (1/3)g
D. (1/4)g
E. (2/3)g

Question 9:

A 15 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 5 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
B. (1/2)g
C. (1/3)g
D. (1/4)g
E. zero

Question 10:

Two tug-of-war teams are pulling on the ends of a rope, each team with a force of 1000 N. If the rope does not move, the tension in the rope is

A. 2000 N
B. 500 N
C. 1000 N
D. zero
E. 2000 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to show your own work before you can get help.

But that is the problem... I haven't learned any of this...

Dont have book, notes, or anything...

So I don't know where to start...

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I calculate force?

Force is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration. The formula for force is F=ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons. On Earth, an object's weight and mass are directly proportional, but on other planets or in space, the force of gravity may be different, resulting in a different weight for the same object.

4. How do I convert between different units of force?

To convert between different units of force, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. For example, to convert from pounds (lb) to Newtons (N), you would need to divide the weight in pounds by the conversion factor 2.20462. So, 10 lb is equal to 10/2.20462 = 4.53592 N.

5. What are some common examples of forces in everyday life?

Some common examples of forces in everyday life include gravity, friction, tension, and normal force. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. Tension is the force in a stretched or compressed object, such as a rubber band. Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, in a direction perpendicular to the surface.