1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed on a bunch of Newton/Force problems!

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    Now I wasn't sure if this would be Intro or Advanced so posted in both:

o we went over these questions in school,... and I was absent.. So my teacher expects me to self-teach myself. But I have trouble with these specific questions (out of 50 questions )...

Please show me steps

Question 1:
    A mass of 25 kg is acted on by two forces: F1 is 15 N due east, and F2 is 10 N due north. The acceleration of the mass is

A. 0.72 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.
    B. 0.20 m/s2, east.
    C. 0.72 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
    D. 1.0 m/s2, 33.7° north of east.
    E. 0.20 m/s2, 56.3° north of east.

Question 2:

An astronaut lands on an earthlike planet and drops a small lead ball with a mass of 76.5 g from top of her spaceship. The point of release is 18 m above the surface of the planet and the ball takes 2.5 s to reach the ground. The astronaut's mass on earth is 68.5 kg. Her weight on the planet is

A. 69 N
    B. 395 N
    C. 670 N
    D. 990 N
    E. 1.02 kN

Question 5:

A lamp with a mass 42.6 kg is hanging from wires as shown. The tension T1 in the Vertical wire is

A. 210 N
    B. 417 N
    C. 570 N
    D. 360 N
    E. 730 N

Question 6:

A lamp with a mass M is suspended from the ceiling by two cords as shown. The ratio of the magnitude of the vertical component of the tension in T2 to that in T3 is

A. 1:1
    B. 1:2
    C. 2:3
    D. 3:2
    E. 3:1

Question 7:

A vertical rope is attached to an object that has a mass of 40.0 kg and is at rest. The tension in the rope needed to give the object an upward speed of 3.50 m/s in 0.700 s is

A. 592 N
    B. 392 N
    C. 200 N
    D. 980 N
    E. 729 N

Question 8:

A 6 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 2 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
    B.(1/2)g
    C. (1/3)g
    D. (1/4)g
    E. (2/3)g

Question 9:

A 15 kg block sitting on a smooth table is connected to a free-hanging 5 kg mass by a stretchless, massless cord that passes over a small frictionless pulley. The acceleration of the two-block system is

A. g
    B. (1/2)g
    C. (1/3)g
    D. (1/4)g
    E. zero

Question 10:

Two tug-of-war teams are pulling on the ends of a rope, each team with a force of 1000 N. If the rope does not move, the tension in the rope is

A. 2000 N
    B. 500 N
    C. 1000 N
    D. zero
    E. 2000 kg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You will need to show your own work before you can get help.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    But that is the problem... I havent learned any of this...

Dont have book, notes, or anything...

So I dont know where to start...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?