Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Needed On Feedback

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    Hey guys,

I am currently solving a problem involving shunt series-series feedback. So far this is what I can say about the circuit:

- Series mixing is feedback combined with source
    - Negative voltage feedback samples output voltage
    - Series voltage feedback stabilises close loop gain and should be used to get precise voltage gain
    - Negative feedback has disadvantage of reducing gain of amp but can be overcome by extra stages of amplifier
    - Advantages are stabilises gain, reduction in nonlinear distortion, reduction in noise and also controls input and output impedance
    - Unwanted noise coming from power supply, coupling of signals from other circuits, feedback can only reduce thermal and shot noises
    - In voltage feedback input terminals of the feedback network are in parralel with the load and output voltage appears at the input terminal of feedback
    - A way to test for voltage feedback is to see if signal vanishes as short circuit
    - As series voltage feedback stabilises close loop voltage gain it is good for designing amplifiers with precise voltage gainse
    - Negative feedback factor is larger than unity therefore negative series feedback increases input impedance
    - Negative voltage feedback reduces output impedance

Can anyone else help me out, what else can I add and say about this feedback network?

The link to the problem is as follows:

Please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2
    extra and important point

In many circuit applications feedback is used to help fix input and output impedances . Typically shunt will reduce the impedance to low values , so that an external but well defined resistor then defines the (say ) input impedance.
    Series does the opposite
    . It is possible to use a combination to define an accurate matching impedance (say 50 ohms) without ever using a 50 ohm resistor and hence gain a noise advantage.
    One of the most important uses is to linearise a circuit -- most transistor circuits are inherently non-linear ( not all) -- the transfer funtion io/vi
    is partly diode characteristic dependant ( exponential ) but also beta dependant ( i.e. transfer efficiency ) , so that for linear applications ( Audio amplifiers , or instrumentation ) you must use feedback to overcome this.
    The limitations of these techniques is that unless carefully designed they can oscillate , to avoid this the internal amplifier is usually rolled off in gain at a 6db/octave rate -- Opamps are a good example where a single capacitor dominates the roll off .
    This has the effect of reducing the amount of feedback with frequency
    so severly limits the 'useful' range where the feedback is effective.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?