Help Needed for Grade 11 Physics Assignment & Interference Pattern Question

• Thread starter antiflag403
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a grade 11 physics assignment involving a candle placed in front of a converging mirror. The conversation includes equations and calculations to determine the height of the image and asks for help with understanding the answer. It also briefly mentions a question about interference patterns of water.
antiflag403
Hey all,
Grade 11 physics assignment due tmrw and I am having some trouble. Any help would be appreciated. So here it is:

A candle of height 4.8 cm is placed 38.6 cm in front of a converging mirror with curvature 30.2 cm. What is the height of the image?

Heres what I have:

1/f = 1/Di + 1/ Do so... 1/15.1 = 1/Di + 1/38.6 so Di=2.56

then...

Hi/Ho = -Di/Do so... Hi/4.8 = -2.56/38.6 so Hi=-.32

where:
Ho= Height of object (candle)
Do= Distance of object
Di= Distance of image
Hi= Height of image
f=focus (which i have calculated to be 15.1)

The answer i get is -.32cm which doesn't seem right to me. Am i doing something wrong? Missing something??

As well... a totally unrelated question- When looking at interference patterns of water through 2 openings, if the second nodal line is formed at an angle of 50 degrees, will n=1 or n=1/2?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you unsure of the sign or the magnitude of your answer? Or both?

Try solving the image problem backwards.

1. What is the concept of interference pattern in physics?

Interference pattern is a phenomenon in which two or more waves interact with each other and produce a pattern of alternating dark and bright spots. This occurs when the waves have the same frequency and travel through the same medium, resulting in constructive or destructive interference.

2. How is interference pattern related to the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic demonstration of interference pattern. In this experiment, a beam of light passes through two parallel slits and creates an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This experiment shows the wave-like behavior of light and how it can interfere with itself to create a pattern.

3. What are the factors that affect the interference pattern?

The factors that affect the interference pattern include the wavelength of the waves, the distance between the sources of the waves, the distance between the sources and the screen, and the nature of the medium through which the waves travel. These factors determine the intensity and location of the bright and dark spots in the interference pattern.

4. How is the intensity of an interference pattern determined?

The intensity of an interference pattern is determined by the amplitude of the waves and the phase difference between them. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and results in a bright spot, while destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and results in a dark spot. The overall intensity is the sum of the individual intensities at a particular point in the interference pattern.

5. How is the concept of interference pattern applied in real-life situations?

Interference pattern is a fundamental concept in many areas of science and technology. It is used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. Some applications include diffraction gratings in spectroscopy, noise-canceling headphones, and the operation of lasers. Interference pattern is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and ultrasound.