1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed Please

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    I am having problem with two math questions that I have been asked to try and although I do not need to do them they are really frustrating me.

First off intergrate (x-1)/squareroot(4x^2-1)

I am sure this is something to do with replacing x to get cos^2 (x)-1 so that this becomes 2cos(2x) but I can't intergrate from there either.

Also intergrate 1/squareroot(1+8x-4x^2) again I am sure it is a substitution for trig but I just can't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I caan't lay the questions out any better
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry to say but for problems like this simple trig substations will not service, a bit of algebraic manipulation to make things look nicer is in order:

For the 1st one you should realise that:

[tex]\int \frac{x-1}{\sqrt{4x^2-1}} dx = \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{4x^2-1}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{4x^2-1}}dx[/tex]

Now if you split the integral up:

[tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{4x^2-1}}dx - \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{4x^2-1}}dx[/tex]

Not wanting to do the whole thing for you I'll leave you to work out the rest.

As for the second the trick I belive is completing the square:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+8x-4x^2}} dx= \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5-4(x - 1)^2}}dx[/tex]

Then use the substation u = x - 1 and again I'll leave you to do the rest. (I would seriously check my arithmetic if I were you, not feeling that well on it tonight).
  4. Sep 30, 2004 #3

thank you for the quick responce. I can not believe I missed I really hate it when I overlook the obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?