Help Needed: Researching Einstein's Move to America

• Thread starter smeagol72087
  • Start date
In summary, Einstein's move to America was prompted by the rise of the Nazi party in Germany and the increasing persecution of Jewish people. He first moved to Princeton, New Jersey and lived there for the rest of his life, purchasing a house at 112 Mercer Street. He continued his scientific work and made significant contributions in the field of physics as a professor at the Institute for Advanced Study. However, he faced challenges in finding employment and criticism for his pacifist views. His move had a significant impact on the scientific community, attracting other brilliant minds and establishing the Institute for Advanced Study as a hub for groundbreaking research.
smeagol72087
I have to write a paper on Einstein, but I need to know when he moved to America... I can only find the year that he wrote to FDR telling him about the capabilities of an atomic weapon, but not the year he moved to America. If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How hard did you look? Googling on ' Einstein "U. S. A."' got me a brief biography
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Einstein.html
that says he came to the United States in 1932.

Hi there,

I'm happy to help with your research on Einstein's move to America. After some digging, I was able to find that Einstein first moved to America in 1933. He left Germany due to the rise of the Nazi party and their anti-Semitic policies. He initially traveled to the United States for a visiting professorship at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena. However, he decided to stay in the US permanently and became a professor at Princeton University in 1933 as well.

The letter that you mentioned, in which Einstein urged President Roosevelt to research the potential of atomic weapons, was written in 1939. This was six years after he had already settled in America. It's important to note that his move to America was not solely motivated by the atomic bomb research, but rather a combination of personal and political reasons.

I hope this information helps with your paper. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Help Needed: Researching Einstein's Move to America

1. What prompted Einstein's move to America?

Einstein's move to America was prompted by the rise of the Nazi party in Germany and the increasing persecution of Jewish people. Einstein, who was Jewish, feared for his safety and decided to leave Germany in 1933.

2. Where did Einstein live in America?

Einstein first moved to Princeton, New Jersey and lived there for the rest of his life. He purchased a house at 112 Mercer Street, which is now the location of the Einstein House museum.

3. Did Einstein continue his scientific work in America?

Yes, Einstein continued his scientific work in America and made significant contributions in the field of physics. He became a professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton and worked on his unified field theory until his death in 1955.

4. Did Einstein face any challenges in America?

Einstein faced some challenges in America, including difficulties in finding employment due to his age and lack of American citizenship. He also faced criticism and backlash for his pacifist views and opposition to the use of nuclear weapons.

5. How did Einstein's move to America impact the scientific community?

Einstein's move to America had a significant impact on the scientific community. He brought his expertise and knowledge to the United States, and his presence attracted many other brilliant minds to the country. He also helped establish the Institute for Advanced Study, which became a hub for groundbreaking research in physics and other fields.