Re-Arranging Formula for Creep Rupture Time Calculation | Helpful Tips"

• Thread starter hoola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, to re-arrange a formula, you need to identify the variable you want to isolate and use inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side of the equation. This process allows you to solve for a specific variable or manipulate the equation to better suit your needs. The steps involved are identifying the variable, moving other terms, and solving for the isolated variable. Any type of formula can be re-arranged as long as it follows mathematical rules and operations, but more complex formulas may require more steps. If there are multiple variables in the formula, you will need to identify the variable you want to isolate and use substitution or elimination methods to solve for it.
hoola

Homework Statement

I am trying to re-arrange the following formula so I can work out the creep rupture time of a material, using the Larson-Miller parameter (LM)

Homework Equations

LM = T (C + log tr)

where : C = constant ( usually of the order of 20 )
T = the temperature in Kelvin
tr = rupture time in hours.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with the re-arrangement of the "log" bit. Any help would be very much apppreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hoola and welcome to PF,

What is the inverse of a logarithm?

I understand the importance of being able to manipulate and rearrange equations in order to solve for a desired variable. In this case, the Larson-Miller parameter (LM) is used to calculate the creep rupture time of a material at a given temperature. The equation provided is LM = T (C + log tr), where C is a constant and tr is the rupture time in hours.

To rearrange this equation, we can start by dividing both sides by T, giving us LM/T = C + log tr. Then, we can subtract C from both sides, resulting in LM/T - C = log tr. Finally, we can take the inverse of the logarithm on both sides, giving us tr = 10^(LM/T - C).

This rearranged equation allows us to solve for the rupture time (tr) by plugging in the values for LM and T. It is important to note that the value of C may vary depending on the material being studied, so it is crucial to use the correct value for accurate calculations.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the rearrangement of the formula for creep rupture time calculation. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. How do I re-arrange a formula?

To re-arrange a formula, start by identifying the variable you want to isolate. Then, use inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side of the equation. Finally, solve for the isolated variable.

2. What is the purpose of re-arranging a formula?

Re-arranging a formula allows you to solve for a specific variable or manipulate the equation to better suit your needs. It can also help with simplifying complex equations.

3. What are the steps to re-arrange a formula?

The steps to re-arrange a formula are: 1) Identify the variable you want to isolate, 2) Move all other terms to the other side of the equation using inverse operations, and 3) Solve for the isolated variable.

4. Can I re-arrange any type of formula?

Yes, you can re-arrange any type of formula as long as it follows mathematical rules and operations. However, some formulas may be more complex and require more steps to re-arrange.

5. What do I do if there are multiple variables in the formula?

If there are multiple variables in the formula, you will need to first identify which variable you want to isolate. Then, use inverse operations to move all other terms to the other side of the equation. This may involve using substitution or elimination methods to solve for the isolated variable.