Help needed to solve square root equation

In summary, to solve the given square root equation, you need to isolate the square root on one side of the equals sign and then square both sides. The resulting equation should be n0-(1.5*10^15)^2 = (1.5*10^15)^2 + (0.0025*n0)^2. By solving for n0, the answer is n0 = 3.0075*10^15.
snoothie

Homework Statement

Can someone advice me how to solve this square root equation?
[tex]n_{0}=1.5*10^{15}+\sqrt{(1.5*10^{15})^{2}+[(0.05)n_{0}]^{2}}[/tex]

The answer should be n0=3.0075*1015

I can't figure out how to open up the square root to solve the equation for n0.
Stuck here staring at the equation...

Physics news on Phys.org
snoothie said:

Homework Statement

Can someone advice me how to solve this square root equation?
[tex]n_{0}=1.5*10^{15}+\sqrt{(1.5*10^{15})^{2}+[(0.05)n_{0}]^{2}}[/tex]

The answer should be n0=3.0075*1015

I can't figure out how to open up the square root to solve the equation for n0.
Stuck here staring at the equation...

Isolate the square root on one side of the equals sign, then square both sides.

solved. but must take note to make the equation:

[n0-(1.5*1015)]2=(1.5*1015)2+0.0025n02

Thanks and cheers

What is a square root equation?

A square root equation is an equation in the form of x2 = a, where x is the unknown value and a is a given number. The solution to this equation is the value of x that, when squared, equals a.

How do I solve a square root equation?

To solve a square root equation, you need to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as squaring both sides of the equation. Once you have eliminated the square root, you can solve for x using basic algebraic principles.

Can a square root equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a square root equation can have two solutions. This is because when we take the square root of a number, there are two possible solutions - a positive and a negative value. For example, the equation x2 = 4 has two solutions, x = 2 and x = -2.

What if the square root equation has a negative number inside?

If the square root equation has a negative number inside, it does not have a real solution. This is because the square root of a negative number is not a real number. In this case, the equation has no solution in the set of real numbers, but it may have a solution in the set of complex numbers.

Are there any special cases when solving square root equations?

Yes, there are some special cases when solving square root equations. For example, if the equation has a constant on one side, you can take the square root of both sides to solve for x. If the equation has a variable inside the square root, you can use the property of squaring both sides to eliminate the square root. Also, if the equation has a fraction, you can multiply both sides by the denominator to get rid of the fraction.