Help Needed. Various General Physics Problems.

In summary, a member on the forum has posted three physics problems and is interested in seeing the answers and equations used by other members. They have also stated that they will post the answers in a few hours.
NewtonJR.215
Just interested in seeing what peoples answers are to these questions. I am new to the site so this could be considered a test of how well the members of this forums acutally know physics.{I've done this problems and have answers} Interested in seeing which equations you used also.

Problem 1 {Dynamics of Uniform Circular Motion}
The linear speed(Velocity) of a person riding a ferris wheel is 8.0m/s. What would be this person's linear speed if they were clinging to a spot halfway between the center of the wheel and the outer edge?

Problem 2 {A car rounding a curve}
A car with mass of 2565kg is rounding a horizontal curve of radius 76m. What is the maximum safe speed the car can maintain around the curve. Where m=0.73(dry road) and m=0.30(wet road)

Problem 3 {Gravitational Forces}
Calculate the gravitational force of:
-The sun and the earth
-The moon and the Earth
-Which is larger and how many times larger is it?

Earth: mass 5.97*10^24 kg
Radius 6,380,000 meters
Moon: mass 7.35 *10^22 kg
Radius 1,740,000 meters
Sun: mass 1.99*10^30
Radius 696,000,000

GOOD LUCK!

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonJR.215 said:
Just interested in seeing what peoples answers are to these questions. I am new to the site so this could be considered a test of how well the members of this forums acutally know physics.{I've done this problems and have answers} Interested in seeing which equations you used also.
Hi NewtonJR,

I don't think you're being completely honest with us are you?

Furthermore, how do you know that your answers are correct?

NewtonJR.215 said:
Just interested in seeing what peoples answers are to these questions. I am new to the site so this could be considered a test of how well the members of this forums acutally know physics.
:rofl: Nice try!

{I've done this problems and have answers} Interested in seeing which equations you used also.
How about this: You show your detailed solutions and we'll be happy to comment.

Please review our posting rules, which are linked at the top of every page, and the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379".

Last edited by a moderator:
hah thought I'd try. I'll post the answers up in a few hours.:approve:

Posted 2 problems up so far in the Homework, General Physics section. I can't post links because my post count is< 15. :cry:

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measurement of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the location and gravitational pull.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The equation is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity, while potential energy is directly proportional to an object's height and mass.