Help needed with a really simple question

• Thread starter lmlgrey
  • Start date
In summary, a vacationer leaves a dock on a river for a day of fishing. 25 minutes later, he realizes his lunchbox is missing and turns downstream to retrieve it. He picks it up 1.2 km downstream from the dock. It is suggested that the upstream/downstream information may be a red herring. The time it takes for the lunchbox to travel downstream is approximately 25 minutes.
lmlgrey
1.A vacationer gets into his out-board motorboat and leaves a dock on a river bank for a day of fishing. Just as he turns upstream, he hears a splash but pays no attention and continues cruising at normal speed. 25.0 minutes later he realizes that his watertight lunchbox is missing. He then turns downstream, with the motor still set at cruising speed. He sights his lunchbox floating down the river and retrieves it at a point 1.2 km downstream of the dock. How long after turning around does he pick up his lunch?

2. I have no clue about it since only little info is given. But some people who solved it suggets that the upstream/downstream is there to trick you.

3. 25 min? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the river has some velocity to it, the time better be the same to travel the same distance given the same boat velocity.

I would suggest that the key to solving this problem lies in understanding the concept of relative velocity. The vacationer's boat is moving upstream at a certain speed, while the lunchbox is moving downstream at a different speed. When the vacationer turns around and starts moving downstream, the relative velocity between the boat and the lunchbox changes, causing the lunchbox to catch up to the boat at a faster rate. This is why the vacationer is able to retrieve the lunchbox sooner than if he had stayed still or continued going upstream.

To solve this problem, we would need to know the speed of the boat and the speed of the river current. With this information, we can calculate the relative velocity and determine how long it would take for the lunchbox to catch up to the boat. Without these values, it is not possible to accurately answer the question. However, we can assume that the vacationer picked up his lunchbox approximately 25 minutes after turning around, as this was the time it took for the lunchbox to travel 1.2 km downstream.

In conclusion, while this may seem like a simple question, it actually involves understanding the concept of relative velocity and having all the necessary information to solve it accurately. It is important to carefully consider all factors and not be fooled by misleading information.

1. What is the question that needs help?

The question is: "What is the capital of France?"

2. Why do you need help with such a simple question?

I may be a scientist in my field, but geography is not my area of expertise. I want to make sure I provide accurate information.

3. Can't you just Google the answer?

While Google can provide quick answers, it is always best to verify information from reliable sources, especially for important or educational purposes.

4. Is there a specific reason you need to know the capital of France?

I may be conducting research that requires knowledge of the capital of various countries, or I may be teaching a lesson on geography and need to ensure I have the correct information.

5. What other resources can you use to find the answer?

I can consult a map, an encyclopedia, or an online database to find the answer. I can also ask someone who may have knowledge or experience in this subject.