Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed with an elliptic PDE

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1

In our math course, we encountered the following elliptic PDE:

y^{2}u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0

In order to solve it, we converted it to the characteristic equation,

y^{2}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^{2} + 1 = 0

Next, we wrote:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{i}{y}[/tex]

My question is: the characteristic equation has no solution in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] but we went ahead and mechanically wrote the expression for [itex]dy/dx[/itex]. Does this mean that we should regard [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] as complex variables? If so, how does one reconcile with the fact that some solution to the PDE as [itex]u(x,y) = c[/itex] is a surface in [itex](x,y,u)[/itex] space? Perhaps this is a trivial question, but I'm just starting to learn PDEs. Does this also mean that we should not ascribe a physical significance to x and y as coordinates in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the fact that it is an elliptic equation tells you that the characteristic equation does not have real roots.
  4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    Oops yes, of course...I didn't see that.

Also, in such a case, do y and x lose their "physical significance" of being real variables in real space?
  5. Nov 3, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Mmm..no, it means that the characteristic curve itself doesn't lie in real space.
    That's quite a different thing from saying that x and y cannot be regarded as real variables.
  6. Nov 4, 2007 #5
    Could you please elaborate? And where can I read more about such issues?
  7. Nov 4, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, my memory on characteristics has gone hazy, so it would be helpful if you posted the precise procedure utilized in the particular example.

However, as a general trait, the method of characteristics is a trick whereby we get a family of curves along everyone of which the u-signal propagates in a simple manner (say, by being conserved).

If therefore that family of curves lie in the complex plane, it means that there aren't a set of real curves y(x) along which u propagates. For example, y cannot be solved entirely as a function of x when we constrict ourselves to the real plane.

Please post a few details about the specific procedure.
  8. Nov 21, 2007 #7
    Ok, so the elliptic equation is

[tex]au_{xx} + 2bu_{xy} + cu_{yy} = 0[/tex]

and its characteristic equation is

[tex]a\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^{2} -2b\frac{dy}{dx} + c = 0[/tex]

Here, [itex]b^{2}-ac <0[/itex] so it has complex roots, and the characteristic curves are:

[tex]\zeta(x,y) = c_{1}[/tex]
    [tex]\eta(x,y) = c_{2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?