Help needed with multi digit multiplication

In summary: The advantage of this is that 8 * 486 is "easier". If you still make mistakes, you can try...11 * 486 = 4 * 486 + 7 * 486 = (400 + 80 + 6) * 486 = 0 * 486 + 8 * 486 + 5 * 486 + 4 * 486 + 0 * 486 + 0 * 486 = 0 + 4000 + 800 + 30 + 0 + 0 = 4830.I
Tyrion101
Ok, so I know how to do it, that is not the question. The question is, why do I always get them wrong. If there is a problem say 323 * 486 Somewhere in the problem I will mess up, it will always be something different than what I messed up on last time. What am I to do? I am very close to just giving up on the whole idea of doing anything math related anymore.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101,

Just think of multiplication as sets of segments crossing each other. The result of multiplication is the number of intersections which occur. For multidigit number factors, break each factor into place values. This gives you separate products which can form a sum to evaluate.

By your example, a way I show and explain is that one factor is shown as 300 plus 20 plus 3 segments, and another factor is 400 plus 80 plus 6 segments. The segments of both factors intersect, giving NINE groups of products to be summed.

I'm assuming, i multiply 300 x 400, and 20 x 80 etc?

Tyrion101 said:
I'm assuming, i multiply 300 x 400, and 20 x 80 etc?

Wow! That reply was too fast. I just barely finished sending my first response and you posted what I quoted above. Take the time to read and think; you seem to be on the correct understanding. I could draw the figure, but maybe you could also and it would be more to your benefit.

You see or find the nine partial products to sum?

Tyrion101 said:
Ok, so I know how to do it, that is not the question. The question is, why do I always get them wrong. If there is a problem say 323 * 486 Somewhere in the problem I will mess up, it will always be something different than what I messed up on last time. What am I to do? I am very close to just giving up on the whole idea of doing anything math related anymore.

The bolded part is HIGHLY doubtful. All you are doing is a sequence of single-digit multiplication, some carries, and then some addition. How many different things can you do wrong? About 3.

The problem has to be that you are careless about the individual steps.

symbolipoint said:
Wow! That reply was too fast. I just barely finished sending my first response and you posted what I quoted above. Take the time to read and think; you seem to be on the correct understanding. I could draw the figure, but maybe you could also and it would be more to your benefit.

You see or find the nine partial products to sum?

I think I partially understand, but not about where the 9 products come from.

Tyrion101 said:
I think I partially understand, but not about where the 9 products come from.

Okay. I don't know how much algebra you have done, but it comes from expanding out brackets. I'll do this slowly. Suppose we have
##(x+y) \times a##
that is, we have two number (one called x and the other called y) add them together and then multiply by a. It turns out this is equal to
##(x+y) \times a = x \times a + y \times a##
Similarly if we have
##(x+y)\times(a+b) = x \times (a+b) + y \times (a+b) = x\times a + x\times b + y \times a + y\times b##
giving four multiplications and three additions. (Remember your order of operations!)

In the case of your problem:
##323 \times 486 = (300+20+3)\times(400+80+6)##
so each bracket has three numbers. Expanding it all out
##300\times400+300\times80+300\times6 + 20\times400+20\times80+20\times6+ 3\times400+3\times80+3\times6##
for a total of nine multiplications.

Oh, I was oversimplifying it. I have seen this before, just completely forgot. It will probably take me a bit to digest this. I think

pwsnafu said:
Okay. I don't know how much algebra you have done, but it comes from expanding out brackets. I'll do this slowly. Suppose we have
##(x+y) \times a##
that is, we have two number (one called x and the other called y) add them together and then multiply by a. It turns out this is equal to
##(x+y) \times a = x \times a + y \times a##
Similarly if we have
##(x+y)\times(a+b) = x \times (a+b) + y \times (a+b) = x\times a + x\times b + y \times a + y\times b##
giving four multiplications and three additions. (Remember your order of operations!)

In the case of your problem:
##323 \times 486 = (300+20+3)\times(400+80+6)##
so each bracket has three numbers. Expanding it all out
##300\times400+300\times80+300\times6 + 20\times400+20\times80+20\times6+ 3\times400+3\times80+3\times6##
for a total of nine multiplications.

In this thread, we have someone who claims to have trouble with multiplying two 3 digit numbers.

The solution presented is to do 9 sets of multiplication problems. :-p

There are a few things I would like to get across to the OP.

1) When you do a large multiplication problem take your time and do not rush. When you go fast you open yourself up for error. Eventually, when you start getting less errors, you can start moving faster.

2) Double check your work. Do the whole problem again on a blank sheet of paper where you can't see your work the first time around. Take your time and double check.

3) Write neatly. This can help you so much. It is easy to make mistakes when you have sloppy writing. The digit columns may not line up, or you may misread a 1 for a 7, etc. Take your time and write neatly and orderly.

4) Don't try and re-invent the wheel. Try to master multiplication the way you were taught. Learning a new method might be too much. Take your time and really try to learn the way you were first taught.

5) TAKE YOUR TIME!

6) Practice, Practice, Practice.

To the good advice offered by Diffy I would add two possibilities:

Do the multiplication again, but instead of computing 323 * 486, compute 486 * 323. There is less chance that you'll make the exact same mistake twice in a row.

Do the trick of "casting out nines". Add up all the digits in the one factor:

3 + 2 + 3 = 8

So the first factor has a result of "8"

Add up all the digits in the other factor

4 + 8 + 6 = 18; 1 + 8 = 9

So the second factor has a result of "9"

Multiply the results; 8 * 9 = 72

7 + 2 = 9

This tells you that the product should have a casting out nines result of 9.

Now after you compute the product, add up its digits.

156,978; 1 + 5 + 6 + 9 + 7 + 8 = 36 ; 3 + 6 = 9

The result checks!

Diffy said:
In this thread, we have someone who claims to have trouble with multiplying two 3 digit numbers.

The solution presented is to do 9 sets of multiplication problems. :-p

For humans there is only two choices:
  1. Use the long multiplication algorithm, in this case resulting in 9 one-digit multiplications,
  2. Get OP to learn his 323-times table.

1. How do you multiply two numbers with multiple digits?

To multiply two numbers with multiple digits, you can use the traditional multiplication method or the lattice method. Both methods involve breaking down the numbers into smaller parts and multiplying them, then adding the products together to get the final answer.

2. What is the process for multiplying larger numbers with multiple digits?

The process for multiplying larger numbers with multiple digits is the same as multiplying two numbers with multiple digits. You just have to be careful to line up the numbers correctly and keep track of the decimal point if you are multiplying decimals.

3. Can you explain the lattice method for multi digit multiplication?

The lattice method is a visual method for multiplying two numbers with multiple digits. It involves creating a grid and placing the digits of each number in separate rows and columns. Then, you multiply the digits in each cell and add the products together to get the final answer.

4. How can I check my answer when multiplying numbers with multiple digits?

You can check your answer by using the inverse operation, which is division. Divide your answer by one of the original numbers, and if you get the other original number, then your answer is correct. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.

5. Are there any tips for making multi digit multiplication easier?

One tip is to practice breaking down larger numbers into smaller parts and multiplying them, as this will help with mental math. You can also use tools like a calculator or multiplication tables to assist with more complex problems. Additionally, staying organized and double-checking your work can help prevent mistakes.