Help needed with rearranging an equation

• Thread starter Hussman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rearranging an equation to solve for the value of I. The equation given is mgh = 1/2*Iw^2 + 1/2*mv^2 + Tf * theta. The individual is struggling with the rearranging process and another individual provides guidance on how to isolate I on the right-hand side of the equation.
Hussman
Im having trouble rearranging an equation to find a value for I.

[The given equation is mgh = 1/2*Iw^2 + 1/2*mv^2 + Tf * theta

My attempt was a bit of a stab in the dark as i am useless with rearranging equations.

I = mgh/w^2 + 1/2*mv^2 + Tf * theta

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To make I subject of the equation is like peeling an onion.

First step: Transfer those two terms on the RHS not involving I to the LHS.

ok so you end up with

mgh - 1/2*mv^2 - Tf*theta = 1/2*Iw^2

Would the lhs be divided by 1/2 w^2?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes we 'peel the next layer of the onion' by dividing BOTH sides by [itex]\frac{\omega^{2}}{2}[/itex] to isolate the I by itself on the RHS.

Nice one cheers

What is the process for rearranging an equation?

The process for rearranging an equation involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation and all the other terms on the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do I know which variable to isolate in an equation?

The variable you want to isolate depends on the goal of your equation. If you are trying to solve for a specific variable, then that is the one you should isolate. If you are trying to manipulate the equation to find a relationship between variables, then you can choose any variable to isolate.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when rearranging an equation?

One common mistake is not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation. For example, if you add 2 to one side, you must also add 2 to the other side. Another mistake is not distributing a coefficient when multiplying or dividing on one side of the equation.

Can an equation be rearranged in more than one way?

Yes, an equation can be rearranged in multiple ways as long as the equality is maintained. This is because the same rules of algebra apply to both sides of the equation.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for rearranging an equation?

There are certain shortcuts or tricks that can be used in specific cases, such as using the quadratic formula to solve for the roots of a quadratic equation or multiplying both sides of the equation by the common denominator to eliminate fractions. However, it is important to understand the underlying algebraic principles and not rely solely on shortcuts.