Is it too late to start studying physics at 22?

• Studying
  • Thread starter CallumBoson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: I already have a degree in Web Design and I'm currently doing a Honors degree in it, so I definitely have the math and physics knowledge needed. I'm just a little hesitant because I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and that I'll enjoy it. I think it's a great opportunity to learn a lot and I'm just worried that I won't be able to find the time to commit to it.
CallumBoson
Hey guys, need a bit of help.

I want to start studying Astronomy and build it up to a degree. At the moment I am doing a Honors Degree in Web Design...I am doing that as a definite way to make money after I graduate. But my true passion is physics and I want to start studying in any way I can.

Do you guys recommend I start now whilst at Uni and perhaps enroll on some short courses with an Open University? Or should I leave it and try after I graduate in three years? Keeping in mind I am 22 and when I graduate I'll be 25, surely that is too old to start anything physics related?

Mid life crisis at 22 >_< haha

Thank you for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CallumBoson,

Is your goal a career in physics or closely related field? If so, then you probably should drop the Web Design degree and go right for physics (I don't know how feasible this if for you though). If you can't do this or if you really want to finish your Web Design degree, then I would say start studying physics now if you feel you have the time to devote to it.

However, if you feel you are too busy right now and would rather wait until you are finished with your current degree then 25 is certainly not too old to start studying physics so there is nothing wrong with waiting the 3 years.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Someone1987 said:
Hello CallumBoson,

Is your goal a career in physics or closely related field? If so, then you probably should drop the Web Design degree and go right for physics (I don't know how feasible this if for you though). If you can't do this or if you really want to finish your Web Design degree, then I would say start studying physics now if you feel you have the time to devote to it.

However, if you feel you are too busy right now and would rather wait until you are finished with your current degree then 25 is certainly not too old to start studying physics so there is nothing wrong with waiting the 3 years.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

That's a lot of help, cheers!

Thanks for the reassurance about not being too old at 25, it is my biggest concern.

Well I take it that you'd be starting at 22, i.e. *right now.* No?

And 22 certainly isn't too old?

How much math and physics do you already know I wonder? Or is it totally still a foreign field for you?

!I can assure you that it is never too late to start studying physics at any age. Age does not determine one's ability to learn and excel in a subject. Many successful scientists, including Nobel Prize winners, started their careers in physics later in life. Therefore, do not let your age discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics.

In fact, starting now while you are still in university is a great opportunity. You can take advantage of the resources and support available to you, such as enrolling in short courses with Open University. This will not only enhance your knowledge in physics, but also provide you with a foundation for pursuing a degree in the future.

Additionally, your background in web design can actually be an asset in the field of physics. Many scientific fields, including astronomy, require advanced data analysis and visualization skills, which you may have gained through your degree in web design. This can give you a unique advantage in your studies and future career in physics.

Remember, it is never too late to follow your passion and pursue your dreams. Age should never be a barrier in achieving your goals. So go ahead and start studying physics now, and who knows, you may even discover new and exciting things in the field of astronomy. Good luck!

1. How can I improve my study habits?

One way to improve your study habits is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and on track with your studying. It's also important to find a quiet and comfortable place to study, eliminate distractions, and take breaks when needed.

2. What are some effective study techniques?

Some effective study techniques include summarizing your notes, creating flashcards, practicing active recall, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also important to vary your study methods and find what works best for you.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying?

One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. It's also helpful to remind yourself of the bigger picture and why you are studying, whether it's for personal growth or to achieve a larger goal.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject?

If you are struggling with a particular subject, it's important to reach out for help. This could mean asking your teacher or professor for extra help, attending tutoring sessions, or forming a study group with classmates. It's also important to identify any areas where you may need additional help and focus on those.

5. How can I manage my time more effectively while studying?

To manage your time more effectively, it's important to prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important ones first. It's also helpful to break up your studying into smaller chunks and take breaks in between. Additionally, try to eliminate any distractions and avoid multitasking, as this can actually decrease your productivity.