Maximize Your Football's Flight in a Sports Hall: Physics Problem Help

• Thread starter physics131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, we are looking to find the maximum horizontal distance a football can travel in a sports hall with an initial speed of 20.0 m/s and a height of 7.00 m without touching the ceiling or floor. To solve this problem, we need to find the horizontal and vertical components of velocity, the height of the ball at different times, and the angle at which the ball should be kicked to maximize the distance while staying below a height of 7 meters.
physics131
I only have really started physics and I need help with this problem for homework.Any help is much appreciated!

A football is kicked from the
floor in a 7.00 m high
sports hall with an initial speed of 20.0 m/s. What is the maximum horizontal
distance it can
fly without touching the ceiling until it strikes the
floor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a a picture? Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle the initial velocity vector makes with the floor. Do you know how to find the horizontal and vertical components of velocity in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]? There is no acceleration horizontally, so horizontal velocity stays is constant. Do you know how to find the horizontal distance the ball will go in t seconds?

There is a downward acceleration, g= 9.81 meters per second per second. Do you know how to find the height of the ball after t seconds? You should have as quadratic equation for the height and that should be 0 when t= 0. Can you find the other value of t when the height is 0? (In other words, when the ball hits the ground, ending it flight.
That will depend on [itex]\theta[/itex].) The value of x for that t is the horizontal distance the ball flies- that will also depend on [itex]\theta[/itex].

You want to find the value of [itex]\theta[/itex] that maxizes that distance with the restriction that the height of the ball is always less than 7 meters.

1. What is the problem you need help with?

The problem involves calculating the force of gravity between two objects.

2. What information do you have about the problem?

I have the mass and distance between the two objects, as well as the gravitational constant.

3. What have you tried so far?

I have attempted to use the formula F = G * (m1 * m2 / d^2) to calculate the force, but I am unsure if I am using it correctly.

4. What specific help do you need?

I need clarification on how to properly use the formula and any other relevant equations or concepts that I may be missing.

5. What is the deadline for solving this problem?

The deadline is in two days, so I need assistance as soon as possible.