Help needed with trigonometric word problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the point along a 40-foot side where the height from the floor to a beam is 16 inches. The person asking for help is confused and is offering a reward for assistance. Another person explains how to use the given information to find the missing angle measures and ultimately solve the problem. There is also a brief discussion about the accuracy of calculations and the importance of not rounding intermediate values.
amd123

Homework Statement

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4150/trighelp.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8480/workz.jpg

Please help I'm totally confused, if anyone can help I can offer a reward of monetary value :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the point along the 40 foot side at which the height from floor to beam is 16 inches. When you find the value, you want to see if it is more than 2 feet away from the righthand side of the wall.

Oh thank god, if it works I owe you BUT i don't have any idea how to do that :(
Also are my calculations correct? When i subtract 8.6 from 10 i get 1.4 feet but when i take the sin of 6 degrees * h2 i get 4.2 feet for the height of the beam?

Also, since you have a 10 by 40 right-triangle, you should be able to find the measures of the other two angles, and therefore should be able to find the other angle measures in the diagram. Then, you have that lower right-triangle, on the bottom. The angle on the left is easy: the found angle above, the 12 degree, the desired lower angle - their sum is 90 degrees.

symbolipoint said:
Also, since you have a 10 by 40 right-triangle, you should be able to find the measures of the other two angles, and therefore should be able to find the other angle measures in the diagram. Then, you have that lower right-triangle, on the bottom. The angle on the left is easy: the found angle above, the 12 degree, the desired lower angle - their sum is 90 degrees.

NVM, didnt read carefully :(

amd123 said:
Oh thank god, if it works I owe you BUT i don't have any idea how to do that :(
Also are my calculations correct? When i subtract 8.6 from 10 i get 1.4 feet but when i take the sin of 6 degrees * h2 i get 4.2 feet for the height of the beam?

The numbers you show are close, but not precise. DON'T ROUND INTERMEDIATE VALUES. The height of the small triangle is not 1.4 ft, and the acute angle of the small triangle is not 6 deg. If you use these values, you will probably get the wrong answer. I have no idea how you got 4.2 ft.

1. What is a trigonometric word problem?

A trigonometric word problem is a mathematical problem that involves using trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for unknown angles or sides of a triangle. These problems often involve real-world scenarios, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two objects.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric word problem?

To solve a trigonometric word problem, you will need to identify the given information and determine which trigonometric function is needed to solve for the unknown. Then, use the given formula and plug in the known values to find the solution. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

3. What are the most common trigonometric functions used in word problems?

The most common trigonometric functions used in word problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratio of the sides of a right triangle and can be used to find missing angles or sides. Other less commonly used trigonometric functions include secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

4. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric word problems?

One helpful tip for solving trigonometric word problems is to label the sides of the triangle with their corresponding lengths (opposite, adjacent, and hypotenuse) and remember the acronym SOH-CAH-TOA, which stands for sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent = opposite/adjacent. It can also be useful to break the problem down into smaller steps and check your work as you go.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric word problems include mixing up the trigonometric functions, using the wrong ratios, forgetting to convert units, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is important to double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.