Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed with two problems (one a trig question, the other a world prob)

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    1. Solve for theta in the interval 0<theta<2pi. Give answers in radians either correct to 3 decimal places or as exact values.

13cos^2 - 5cos = 12sin^2 - 6

3) Scientists use visual magnitude to measure the brighness of a star. The smaller the number, the brighter the star. An increase in magnitude of 1 unit represents a decrease of 60% in the brighness of a star.

a) The star Vega has a magnitude of 0. If a second star has a visual magnitude of -2.4, how many times brighter than Vega is this star?

b) If a star is 15% as bright as Vega is , what is its visual magnitude?

c)How is this scale different from the Richter scale?

For this next question all I need is a basic run through of what I have to do.

4) a and B are both angles in the second quadrant. If sin a = 1/3 and sin B = 2/3, find the exact value of cos (a +b).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first thing you should really try doing is copying the problem correctly! That is not the problem you were given because it doesn't make sense! I suspect that the problem is 13 cos2θ- 5 cosθ= 12 sin2θ- 6.
    Replace sin2&theta with 1- cos2θ and you have a quadratic equation for cosθ solve for cosθ and then then use a calculator.

\
    A "decrease" of 60% is the same as 40% or 0.4. -2.4 is a decrease in magnitude of 2.4 so an increase in brightness of 0.4 2.4 times: careful: that is not 2.4*0.4 but (0.4)2.4.

"15% as bright" is a decrease of 100-15= 85= (85/40)(40)= (2.125)(40) %

Well, how is the Richter scale defined?

If sin a= 1/3 what is cos a? If sin B= 2/3 what is cos B? Do you know a formula for cos(a+b) in terms of cos(a), sin(a), cos(b), sin(b)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?