Help needed with two problems (one a trig question, the other a world prob)

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation includes solving for theta in the interval 0<theta<2pi, using visual magnitude to measure the brightness of stars, and finding the exact value of cos(a+b) when given sin a and sin B.
DLxX
1. Solve for theta in the interval 0<theta<2pi. Give answers in radians either correct to 3 decimal places or as exact values.

13cos^2 - 5cos = 12sin^2 - 6

3) Scientists use visual magnitude to measure the brighness of a star. The smaller the number, the brighter the star. An increase in magnitude of 1 unit represents a decrease of 60% in the brighness of a star.

a) The star Vega has a magnitude of 0. If a second star has a visual magnitude of -2.4, how many times brighter than Vega is this star?

b) If a star is 15% as bright as Vega is , what is its visual magnitude?

c)How is this scale different from the Richter scale?

For this next question all I need is a basic run through of what I have to do.

4) a and B are both angles in the second quadrant. If sin a = 1/3 and sin B = 2/3, find the exact value of cos (a +b).

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DLxX said:
1. Solve for theta in the interval 0<theta<2pi. Give answers in radians either correct to 3 decimal places or as exact values.

13cos^2 - 5cos = 12sin^2 - 6

The first thing you should really try doing is copying the problem correctly! That is not the problem you were given because it doesn't make sense! I suspect that the problem is 13 cos2θ- 5 cosθ= 12 sin2θ- 6.
Replace sin2&theta with 1- cos2θ and you have a quadratic equation for cosθ solve for cosθ and then then use a calculator.

3) Scientists use visual magnitude to measure the brighness of a star. The smaller the number, the brighter the star. An increase in magnitude of 1 unit represents a decrease of 60% in the brighness of a star.

a) The star Vega has a magnitude of 0. If a second star has a visual magnitude of -2.4, how many times brighter than Vega is this star?
\
A "decrease" of 60% is the same as 40% or 0.4. -2.4 is a decrease in magnitude of 2.4 so an increase in brightness of 0.4 2.4 times: careful: that is not 2.4*0.4 but (0.4)2.4.

b) If a star is 15% as bright as Vega is , what is its visual magnitude?
"15% as bright" is a decrease of 100-15= 85= (85/40)(40)= (2.125)(40) %

c)How is this scale different from the Richter scale?
Well, how is the Richter scale defined?

For this next question all I need is a basic run through of what I have to do.

4) a and B are both angles in the second quadrant. If sin a = 1/3 and sin B = 2/3, find the exact value of cos (a +b).
If sin a= 1/3 what is cos a? If sin B= 2/3 what is cos B? Do you know a formula for cos(a+b) in terms of cos(a), sin(a), cos(b), sin(b)?

Thanks

1. To solve for theta in the given interval, we can use the double angle formula for cosine: cos(2theta) = 2cos^2(theta) - 1. We can rewrite the given equation as 13cos^2(theta) - 5cos(theta) - 12sin^2(theta) + 6 = 0. Substituting the double angle formula, we get 13(2cos^2(theta) - 1) - 5cos(theta) - 12(1-cos^2(theta)) + 6 = 0. Simplifying, we get 26cos^2(theta) - 17cos(theta) - 6 = 0. Solving for cos(theta) using the quadratic formula, we get cos(theta) = 3/13 or -2/13. Since we are looking for values in the interval 0<theta<2pi, we can eliminate the negative value and get cos(theta) = 3/13. Taking the inverse cosine of this value, we get theta = 1.302 radians or approximately 0.913 radians to 3 decimal places.

2. a) To find how many times brighter the second star is compared to Vega, we can use the formula for magnitude difference: m1 - m2 = 2.5log(b2/b1), where m is the magnitude and b is the brightness. Plugging in the given values, we get 0 - (-2.4) = 2.5log(b2/1). Simplifying, we get log(b2) = 2.4/2.5 = 0.96. Taking the antilog, we get b2 = 9.5. This means that the second star is 9.5 times brighter than Vega.

b) To find the magnitude of a star that is 15% as bright as Vega, we can use the same formula and solve for m2: m1 - m2 = 2.5log(b2/b1), where m1 = 0 and b1 = 100%. Plugging in the values, we get 0 - m2 = 2.5log(15%/100%). Simplifying, we get m2 = -2.5log(0.15) = 2.5(-0.823) = -2.058. Therefore, the visual magnitude of this star

1. What is the best approach to solving a trigonometry problem?

The best approach to solving a trigonometry problem is to first identify the type of problem you are dealing with (e.g. finding missing angles, sides, or using trigonometric identities). Then, use the appropriate trigonometric formula or identity to solve the problem step by step.

2. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry concepts?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry concepts, it is important to practice solving different types of problems, review key formulas and identities, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or working with a tutor.

3. How can I apply trigonometry in real-world situations?

Trigonometry is often used in real-world situations involving measurements and angles, such as in engineering, architecture, and navigation. To apply trigonometry, you must first identify the problem and then use the appropriate trigonometric function to solve it.

4. What is the importance of understanding world problems?

Understanding world problems is important because it allows us to gain a broader perspective on global issues and challenges, and encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps us to become more informed and engaged citizens of the world.

5. How can I approach solving a world problem?

When approaching a world problem, it is important to first gather as much information as possible and analyze the problem from different perspectives. Then, identify potential solutions and their potential impact. Finally, choose the most effective solution and take action to address the problem.