1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    urgent help needed

hey i am new to this forum, so i am not sure if i posted this in the rite place or not, but i need ur help. i am sure you all are aware of OM and know the rules for it. I need to do a similar structure like tht for physics and i do not kno how to do it. it needs to be a tower that is greater than 8" and needs to fit in a box that is 6" by 6" by 1", 1" being the height. i have tried and tried and i am getting nothing. i have no clue how to make the structure into more than one part. could you please help me? this is due monday and i have nothing yet. the amount of weight my strucutre holds will get me my grade, and rite now i will get a 0. thnks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what is OM?

What materials? Please provide as complete a discription of your project as you can. Assume that we know nothing about your project... cuz' we don't

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3
    o sorry about that..well i need to make the tower out of balsa wood (the pieces need to be 1/8" by 1/8") and have to be under 18 ounces which is about .6 grams. The structure needs to be at least 8" tall and 4" wide and so far, my friends have like 500 lbs, but they wont tell me how they did it. i think that is most of the info, if i find more details i will let you know. Thanks

5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    ...any ideas anyone?

6. Mar 7, 2007 #5
    I'm not much of a mechanical guy, maybe you should post the question over on the engineering section.I do know balsa has outstanding compressive strength. So use that.

Two of the most common ways to add strength to a structure are the basic truss and the arch. Balsa can be easily curved by wetting it, but with time running out I'd stick to triangles and column. By the way your 6inch box will accomodate 8 inches depending on the width and thats 0.6 Kg, not gm.. Thats a lotta balsa.

7. Mar 7, 2007 #6
    mm..wat i dont get is how am i suppose to create more than once piece and put it together without it losing strength. Moreover, i dont even kno how to make more than one piece, i am clueless

8. Mar 7, 2007 #7
    well seems to me you could simply stack it, and create a "deck" by running a number of balsa pieces along the width of the top, or maybe better yet figure out a way to interlock th two. What comes to mind, as a for instance, is having four of the sticks arranged in a square with an 1/8 inch hole in the middle so it slides down until some time of stop hits the column.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?