1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    hey i am new to this forum, so i am not sure if i posted this in the rite place or not, but i need ur help. i am sure you all are aware of OM and know the rules for it. I need to do a similar structure like tht for physics and i do not kno how to do it. it needs to be a tower that is greater than 8" and needs to fit in a box that is 6" by 6" by 1", 1" being the height. i have tried and tried and i am getting nothing. i have no clue how to make the structure into more than one part. could you please help me? this is due monday and i have nothing yet. the amount of weight my strucutre holds will get me my grade, and rite now i will get a 0. thnks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2
    I would suggest several things:

1) Move this to the homework help section, you'll get a quicker response there.

2) When you do post it there, clean up your English so your question is understandable. If you find that hard, find someone to proof read it for you or do it in Word and run spell check and then cut and paste. You'll get a faster response if it is easy to read. (My English isn't perfect either so I feel your pain.)

3) Throw out some ideas for us to chew on. We are not suppose to give help until you show some effort. It is not hard. There are all kinds of ways to connect things together (velcro, latches, string, etc). Think about stability too. Are stable things wider at the top than the bottom? Why or why not?

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to Intro Physics homework help forum.

I don't understand what you are trying to do, pimpmaster. What's an OM? What are the exact rules for this project/competition? What are your thoughts so far on ways you can accomplish your goal?

5. Mar 8, 2007 #4
    I am sorry about that, i should have explained it better. I have to create a structure out of balsa wood, that has to be greater than 8" tall and 6" wide. The challenge is that the structure can not exceed the weight of 18 ounces and has to be composed of many pieces so that it can fit in a 6" by 6" by 1", 1" being the height, box that will be used to weigh the structure. The wood pieces have to be 1/8" by 1/8" pieces of balsa wood. That should be all the details. My ideas were to create 4 horizontal squares and then create a 1/8" whole at each corner of the square so that when i place the square pieces over each other, i can stick four sticks of balsa through the wholes at each corner in order to put it together and make it stronger. The problem with that is, i do not have any triangles in the structure, which will make it much stronger. So my goal is to create four seperate pieces because they need to fit into the 6" by 6" by 1" box, and then the day the project is due,i have to be able to put the structure together and then test it. I do not know of very many joints or cuts that i can make in order to put two pieces of wood together, so i need your help and ideas. My idea really did not work, so i basically need a new idea for a structure also. Thanks a lot

6. Mar 8, 2007 #5
    i hope that helped

7. Mar 8, 2007 #6

berkeman

That helps a little. How is the weight applied to your structure? What are you allowed to use to hold all the sub-panels together when you assemble the final structure? Only more balsa wood pieces (like u-shaped clips made from the balsa sticks or something)?

8. Mar 8, 2007 #7
    due to the fact that the center will not have anything in it, there will be a poll that we put the structure through and then we place a wooden base board ontop and then the weights begin to get added. yea, basically only balsa and glue. We can use any materials we have, but i am afraid that it will be too heavy. 18 ounces is not that much, even if balsa is light.

9. Mar 8, 2007 #8
  10. Mar 9, 2007 #9
    i only have a couple more days left, any more ideas?

11. Mar 9, 2007 #10

berkeman

What have you come up with so far? It seems like you need to make an assemble-able lattice with lots of triangles in the sub-panels. Sketch some ideas up, and show how you would assemble the pieces from the set of sub-panels. You need to do some work, and we can offer some critiques and tips.

12. Mar 9, 2007 #11
    So far, my design does not work. It was to have 4 square pieces with 1/8" holes at each corner so i can connect them all together with a 8" balsa stick. And that way, all the pieces will fit into the 1" by 6" by 6" weighing box. That is all i can think of. Thanks for helping man :)

13. Mar 10, 2007 #12
    what if i created a triangular prism? would that be stronger than a rectangular prism?

14. Mar 10, 2007 #13

thats basically what we need to do...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Mar 12, 2007 #14
    what if i created a triangular prism? would that be stronger than a rectangular prism?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?