Struggling in Programming Class? Need Help Improving Quiz Scores?

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the speaker is struggling in their first programming class, particularly with the weekly quizzes. They are averaging 85-90 on homework, but only 60-65 on quizzes. The quizzes are pen-and-paper and require quick programming. The speaker feels like they are not performing well under pressure without having access to MATLAB. They are unsure of how to improve and are considering withdrawing from the course to study on their own before taking it again.
Angry Citizen
I'm in my first programming class (in a university and in general), and it's kicking my butt. The homework is brutal. It consumes around ten hours a week just to complete (usually only three or four programs). But that's not the problem, because I'm averaging around an 85-90 in that (haven't really checked lately).

The problem is the quiz every Monday, in-class. I continue to fail miserably, over and over. The quizzes are pen-and-paper, and invariably require a quickly written program. Between stupid mistakes like forgetting to write in code rather than mathematics, and between not-so-stupid mistakes like being completely unable to figure it out in twenty minutes, I've been averaging around 60-65. This wouldn't be quite as bad if one's final grade weren't possibly dependent on the quiz average if one's quiz average is significantly lower than the homework average (ten percent or more, it says).

I honestly have no idea what to do to avoid failing this class. Other people don't get that low of a score on the quizzes. The professor doesn't really use the book, and openly mocks it at times. I don't think I'm a poor programmer; I can perform the homework, albeit slowly. I just seem to be having trouble being tested on the spot on my coding skills without having MATLAB at my fingertips. What advice does PF have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you LEARNING? Can you do things that you could not do or did not know how to do before? If yes, then you want to complete the course, not necessarily this term, but maybe in the next term. If you are sure that you are failing regarding your grade and if this is before your drop-deadline, then withdraw but keep attending the class and studying (if the instructor or professor will allow you to). As soon as the semester or term is finished, begin studying this course again, on your own, before registering and attending the next semester.

1. What is a non-traditional class?

A non-traditional class is a type of learning experience that does not follow the traditional model of in-person lectures and exams. It can include online classes, self-paced courses, or hands-on learning experiences.

2. How is a non-traditional class different from a traditional class?

A non-traditional class differs from a traditional class in several ways. It may offer more flexibility in terms of scheduling and location, as well as the ability to work at your own pace. It may also utilize different teaching methods, such as online lectures or project-based learning.

3. What are the benefits of taking a non-traditional class?

Non-traditional classes offer several benefits, such as the ability to learn at your own pace, the convenience of online learning, and the opportunity to gain hands-on experience. They also allow for a more personalized learning experience and can be a more affordable option for some students.

4. What are some examples of non-traditional classes?

Some examples of non-traditional classes include online courses, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), hybrid classes (a mix of online and in-person learning), and experiential learning opportunities, such as internships or apprenticeships.

5. How can I succeed in a non-traditional class?

To succeed in a non-traditional class, it is important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and communicate regularly with your instructor. It is also helpful to actively participate in any discussions or group work, and to seek help when needed. Taking advantage of resources such as online tutorials or study groups can also aid in success.