1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help normalizing a wave function

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't see how the author normalizes ##u(r)=Asin(kr)##. From Griffiths, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd edition, page 141-142:

http://imgur.com/a/bo8v6

2. Relevant equations
    ##\int_0^{\infty} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi}|A|^2 \sin^2(\frac{n\pi r}{a})r^2 \sin \theta drd\theta d\phi=1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    My integral was
    ##\int_0^{\infty} \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi}|A|^2 \sin^2(\frac{n\pi r}{a})r^2 \sin \theta drd\theta d\phi=1##

Mathematica simplifies the integral (without the ##A## for simplicity) to
    ##=\int_0^{\infty}4\pi r^2 \sin^2(\frac{n\pi r}{a})dr##

but it stops there. I don't think this integral converges. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2
    As Griffiths himself makes clear - the radial part of the wavefunction is ##R(r) = u(r) /r##, so that is what you should be putting in the integral instead. When he says normalising ##u(r)##, what he really means is finding the coefficient ##A##

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the value of the wavefunction for r > a?

The normalization condition for the radial part of the wavefunction R(r) is given in Griffith's equation [4.31] (not shown in your picture).

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4
    The wavefunction is ##0## for ##r>a##.

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5
    Ah I see. Ok then but normalizing according to that equation yields ##\int_0^{\infty} |A|^2 sin^2 (n*\pi *r/a)dr##, which does not converge.

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you take account of the fact that the wavefunction vanishes for r > a?

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7
    But I thought whenever you normalize, you integrate over all space?

9. Nov 8, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you integrate over all space. But you have to use the correct wavefunction for all of space.

10. Nov 8, 2016 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To put it another way, is there a need to integrate over regions of space where the wavefunction is zero?

11. Nov 8, 2016 #10
    So you mean the integral should technically be ##\int_0^a |A|^2 sin^2 (n\pi r/a)dr + \int_a^{\infty} 0 dr## ??

12. Nov 8, 2016 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

13. Nov 8, 2016 #12
    facepalm.jpg

Ugh....makes sense. Sorry for being so dense. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted