Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Npt sizes not fitting!

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Ok, so here's a weird problem. I am trying to make a 1/4 npt fitting with two pieces of brass pipe.

The tap says:

Vermont
    1/4 NPT 18
    HSGG M21

The die says:

1/4 NPT
    Baystate -5

So I threaded the pieces of pipe, expecting them to fit together nicely... and they didn't - far from it. I found that they were screwing in at an angle, and stopping after a short distance.

Needless to say I'm mystified by this. I've tried threading several pieces, being careful to make nice straight threads, and still this problem remains. I suspect it must have something to do with that "-5" on the die, but I haven't been able to find any references explaining what it means.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would imagine because it isn't a 1/4 NPT 18 die. I don't know what "baystate -5" means and I don't think it has to do with the die size (manufacturer maybe?). Regardless, your die probably just doesn't have 18 threads per inch like the tap does.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook