1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help ODE system

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello.

I want to study the stability of the origin of the following problem:

dx/dt = -2y

dy/dt = x + 2y

dz/dt = -2z

So the eigenvalues of this 3 x 3 matrix are -2, 1 + i, 1-i.

The eigenvectors are (0,0,1) , (2,-1-i,0), (-2,-1+i,0).

The solution (confirmed with Mathematica) is given by:

x(t) = 2*exp(t)cos(t) * C_1 + 2*exp(t)*sin(t) * C_2 - 2*exp(t)*sin(t) *C_3

y(t) = C_1 * (-exp(t)*¨sin(t) - exp(t)*cos(t)) + C_2 * (exp(t)cos(t) -exp(t)sin(t)) +
    C_3 * (-exp(t)cos(t)+exp(t)sin(t) )

z(t) = 2*exp(2*t) *C_3

Where C_1,C_2,C_3 are constants.

How can I find (analytically, not by plotting) if the origin (0,0,0) is stable, asymptotically stable? unstable, a node, a center?

I'm having trouble figuring this out. Can you please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is there a typo in z(t)? One of your eigenvalues is -2, so I would expect to see e^(-2t) in one of your solution functions.

Because x(t) and y(t) both have terms with e^t, I would expect orbits that move away from the origin over time, which would make the origin unstable or a node (I don't recall exactly what these terms mean in the context of phase diagrams. And because z(t) is a decaying exponential function, whatever the orbits are doing, they are going to be heading down to the x-y plane over time. I'm just going off the top of my head here, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook